Cat cough? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Cat cough?

Hello all,

For about 2 weeks my cat has been "coughing" at first it sounded like a hairball wasn't coming up and she was doing this about 3 times a day. She eats and drinks well, and uses the potty well too. I took her to the vet, and i guess I just wasn't happy with any of the answers I got. First they said she could have upper respiratory virus/infection or maybe asthma. Becuase I explained that sometimes her "cough" sounds weezy. So they suggested doing an x-ray. They did the x-ray and they said there was nothing respiratory going on. There was a spot on her tummy that they said could be a hairball or food. I believe it was food because I had given her her little round treats a few hours before the vet appointment. So they said if she doesn't improve that they want to do barium tests and the last option is surgery. So they gave her some anti-nasuea meds and (this is where I was confused) some cat prednisone meds in case there is inflammation in her respiratry system. I thought they ruled that out by the x-ray? Anyways, she has days that go by now where she doesn't have this "cough" then last night she did it twice. I don't know if this means anything, but I have bought the same litter, Fresh Step for years. As she was getting into her litter box this morning and started pushing litter around, she got her cough again. Now I know when you pour the littter out, it is dusty. Could that have pushed litter dust around when she was in the box this morning and irritated a respiratory problem? Just wondering what others think here. I just wasn't happy with the answers I got from the vet and don't want to put her through unnecessary tests if this it something bothering her little lungs or nose or throat. Now when she has this cough, it sounds more weezy. They also said no more free grazing of food, so I put her food away when I leave for work and put it back out for a while when I get home. I am thinking about taking her to another vet for another opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone ever had this problem, or anything to share that might be related to this problem?

Thanks
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM

I tried really hard to eliminate, as much as possible, litter-related dust. I switched to a paper-based litter to accomplish this, and there is virtually no dust. I guess a way to see how much dust kitty might be stirring up is to just swish your hand around in a litter pan a bit and see how much puffs up. The brand I first had for my girls was awful, even though it said 98% dust-free. The poor things had litter dust caked to their noses (does your kitty have any of this inside her nostrils?). I switched in the first week I had them home.

This has improved Goblin's coughing (she has had sporadic outbursts, too). Her other issue is indeed - hair. I now give her laxatone regularly and she now very rarely has these episodes.

If your cat's episodes seem centered around the litterbox, I'd work from that angle. If they happen sporadically at other times, perhaps try the laxatone.

I guess my only other thought is - does kitty have a weight issue?

Bottom line - if you're not happy with your vet and you really think there's something wrong, there's nothing wrong with seeking further dialogue with your existing vet or asking for a second opinion. Tell them your concerns of the cough continuing, etc. Personally, it might be worth a shot trying a couple of environmental changes first though, to see if kitty is senstive to dust or allergens, or having hair issues.

I hope kitty improves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I took ms. kitty to a new vet today. They said what she has is definitely respiratory related. They gave her (I can't remember the names) kitty amoxicillin and another pill to help open her airways. They also rescheduled her for 2 weeks to see if she's improved. I sure hope so. She is my sweet girl.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Good Luck!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone help me?.....The vet gave ms kitty some pills to take.....and they are huge. I have tried sticking broken pieces of them in treats, putting them in butter for her to lick, and she won't eat them. I even tried to pry her little mouth open and give them to her, but she wouldn't open her mouth. As soon as she smells the pills, she's had enough. I am going to call the vet and see if they have another form of these besides pills. It is amoxicillin and a bronchodilator.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:03 PM

I always get amoxicillin in liquid, because I HATE pilling the cats. If your vet doesn't have your exact med in liquid (amoxicillin + bronchodilator), you can ask about having a pharmacy compound it for you.

Anyhoo, if your stuck pilling her and you need help you can ask the vet for help. She's not going to like it, but it's really important that she gets the meds. Wrapping her in a towel may help if she is fighter, and if you raise her head slightly and apply gentle pressure to the jaw you can hopefully get her to pop her mouth open.

I highly recommend looking for a compounding pharmacy though!

Tags
litter box, litter pan