Cat dandruff? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Cat dandruff?

Lately the skin towards the bottom of baby girl has been getting cat dandruff, is their a vitimin or something I can give her to help clear this up? Like a vitamin in treat form so i don't wind up wearing a patch the rest of my life when she decides she doesn't like it? or something I could slip into the water? It just started but I don't want it to get crazy bad where they are using the poor girl in a head and shoulders commercial!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:20 PM

There are suppliments you can get to put in her food....but I would be sure it is actually just dry flaky skin before doing anything. Sometimes ringworm can appear as just dry flaky skin instead of its usual red patch of dry skin with no fur.

There is a topical spray thats called "Relief" made by DVM Pharmaceuticals that is oatmeal based that helps dry skin. They also make a product called "3V caps" which is a capsule you can squeeze on the food daily. Im not sure if either of these is labeled for cats, but I know they do not say not to use them on cats. Ask your vet....I think the 3V caps would be fine. They just have amino acids, fish oil, and vitamins in them. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of things to chose from just for kittys...everything skin- wise is for dogs it seems.

....Im looking at my bottle of 3V and I see nothing that says not to use it on cats, in fact it doesnt even say dog specifically....it says "pet"...so it would seem that its ok for all pets. It works wonders for my dogs, should work just as well for cats.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much. If they are indoor cats and eat the same thing all the time, could they just 'get' ringworm? What are other signsof it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 01:50 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

One of my cats gets flakey dandruff sometimes. I don't know what causes it either. I brush her daily when I start noticing it and I sprinkle a tablespoon or two of Olive Oil on her dry food (all 3 cats eat from the same bowl for their dry food, so they all end up eating it ) It makes her coat shine like crazy and clears up the flakes. It's good for hairball control too.
I give it to my dogs on occasion for their skin and coats (my Golden used to get dandruff sometimes too but not since I changed his food)
I'm clueless... just a suggestion

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

olive oil hmmm...I went and looked at ring worm sites and started checking myself for it! eww. my aunt's cat had it and her vet said as long as the cat didn't seemed bothered it was fine just dry skin.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 12:23 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Capn' I'm Sicilian - Olive Oil is the solution to everything

It really works tho!
It makes their coats shine like crazy and their skin looks healthy and supple... clears up the dandruff flakies on my Golden Retriever too - his coat was so flakey and dry for a long time- it was driving me bonkers.
Go Figger

[center]

[
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:35 AM

Wow! Olive oil may even further reduce shedding & even hairball problems, you think?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:18 PM

Olive oil? Hmmm... I'll have to try that on Galoshes & Li'l. They have dull coats and tend to get dandruff too.

Thanks for this innovative tip!

PS: Does it have to be extra-virgin olive oil or would regular virgin olive oil do?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yayi- yes! It does help control hair balls too! Absolutely! And shedding!! It works on my Golden (as I said up there) the same way - he sheds SOOO bad - when I brush him I get so much hair off him I could make 2 extra dogs

I read about using olive oil as a suppliment somewhere on a web site ages and ages ago... and being Sicilian you know I buy the gallon size bottles It's alway's in my kitchen!

Honestly though, it really works and it doesn't cause any stomach upset or diarrhea- if anything - the stool seems healthier? Gross thing to mention I know, but it's what I noticed.

Pigsterz- omg you crack me up!! I use regular

[center]

[
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 09:12 PM

I have the same problem with my Eve. Since she's black I can really see it. I am wondering if it could be from the weather change. She was just at the vet not to long ago so I know she is healthy. I was going to pick up some $30 dollar supliment but Olive oil sounds much better and cheaper (extra virgin is okay?)

Deja - I too buy a gallon at a time!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dena I think any type of olive oil you have in the house or normally buy would work. It's worth a shot!

Kitchen staples! Olive Oil, garlic, crushed tomatoes, and pasta- even when there is "no food in the house mom!" I can always whip *something* up

[center]

[

Tags
dry food, golden retriever, indoor cat, indoor cats