Cat Declawing-not here! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Cat Declawing-not here!

City Council Condemns Cat Declawing

by Amanda Ali

Posted on January 23, 2003
The West Hollywood, CA City Council has unanimously approved a resolution condemning cat declawing and will soon vote on legislation banning the practice.

If the ban is enacted, it would be the first of its kind to go into effect in the United States.

The Paw Project
City Councilman John Duran, who has had the claws of several of his cats removed, proposed the ban after learning that declawing is a surgical procedure that does not only involve removing a cat's claws.

"It's the equivalent of removing a knuckle off of a human finger," said Duran. "Had I known that, I would have sought alternatives."
"I've lived with cats for many years and would never dream of subjecting them to this needless, painful mutilation," said famed actress and animal welfare advocate Bea Arthur.

Declawing is banned in Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and most of Europe, except in cases of medical necessity.

Link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 05:46 PM
I Heart My Job

there's a town here in CT that is trying to ban declawing as well. i forget which one though. west hollywood...or something like that. we did a segment on it in last wed's news. they are working really hard to get it banned. people in the town seem to be very adamant about it. i tend to agree. its cruel.

sparkle->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 05:48 PM

I agree Dragonmaster declawing is cruel....I have two kitties and would never think about having it done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 05:51 PM
I Heart My Job

i don't have a kitty yet, but i will get one someday, and it definitely won't be declawed. its awful, and its very painful for them. i rememebr seeing a program once on tigers, where they had declawed this tiger because it was in a zoo ro something and now it was in a rescue center. the tiger had been in so much pain from the declawing process that it kept its forepaws clung to its chest until his elbows froze in place and he had to wander around limping with permanantly bent arms. it was awful.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:32 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I wish it was banned all over the world.I had 3 cats de-clawed and never relized how painful it is on them.I work in a vets office in the kennel area.I see what they go thru.It takes along time for them to come around even after a nueter or spay and then an added declaw is really hard to watch.I have seen the procedure done and I hate it.Most clients don't ask for their cats to get pain meds when they start coming out of the anethsia and they are in pain for sure.It breaks my heart to watch them stumbling around and there is nothing I can do but make them as comfy as possible.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Erin

we've had two declawed, another that was declawed previous to adoption. When we got Kitty I had learned all the horrid stories, and read how painful it is, no way she was getting done! We have softpaws nail covers for her (www.softpaws.com) they work GREAT! We've got her pretty blue ones to match her eyes

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 10:12 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I am glad to see some sort of action being taken against this type of cruelty of cats..... I used to work in a Vet Hospital in Virginia and the first time I had to assist on a declawing of a cat, became my last..... It was the worst thing I had ever seen and heard for that matter. Glad to see people standing up for this form of cruelty.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 10:24 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Unhappy

One of my biggest regrets is that I had my kitty declawed. It's been over 4 years, and I still feel so guilty. You see, they said that their top vet would be doing it. (uh-huh) After months of problems, I finally demanded a return visit, only to be told "Oh my ... there's bone framents popped out of the holes ... we've NEVER seen anything like this" Long story short, my current vet explained that they cut too far behind the knuckle, causing the bones to splinter (obviously done by an inexperienced vet) - (OMG, I'm gonna cry just thinking about it). They also cut into her toe pads, so theres NOTHING cushioning that hard edge, and there's no tissue left that could be moved over it. Because of this, Lizzie walks on her "heels", which my vet says may cause tendonitis later in life - every single day I kick myself for ever letting her be mutilated ...
Next time, I'll just replace my curtains as needed.

Sharon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

SharonM- aww poor you and your kitty, not all the information is out there all the time!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 11:12 PM
HyperAngel

Thank you for that information. I have 3 kitties, 2 of which have been declawed for years now. My family and I have put off declawing the other cat so far. How well do the soft paws work? Sparky, the cat with claws, is very into clawing up furniture and digging in his litter box. Will the soft paws survive that wear and tear?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

WE had a kitten declawed today and tomorrow they are going to do 2 more and one will have the back claws removed.It is so unfair to these cats.If people could only see how much they suffer.The 1 that was done today spent some of his time with me.I try to comfort them as much as I can,but it is really hard on them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Quote:
. How well do the soft paws work? Sparky, the cat with claws, is very into clawing up furniture and digging in his litter box. Will the soft paws survive that wear and tear?
I found this site on where to get soft paws.Soft Paws

Tags
animal welfare, litter box