Cat & dogs not getting along! Any advice very much appreciated! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Cat & dogs not getting along! Any advice very much appreciated!

I should probably start by saying Miran is the first cat I have ever owned, I've always just had dogs so any advice will be much appreciated! Miran was a feral kitten that appeared one day on one of my gardening jobs dragging a back leg, I couldn't just leave her there as it is a holiday home so she'd have to fend for herself but more importantly needed to see a vet about her back leg! So after 5 days of feeding I managed to catch her and took her to the vet. Turns out it was an infection and after antibiotics, worming, tick treatments getting her spayed & lots of tlc, I happy to say she's now a friendly, healthy cat. The issue I have is having both dogs and a cat in the same house. Miran hates my dogs, she is absolutely terrified of them. One of my dogs has a healthy respect for cats and has had cats "friends" in the past but my other dog (2y/o border collie) has never been around cats other than to bark at and chase. I've resided to the fact that they will never live along side harmoniously so have given the upstairs to Miran while keeping the downstairs for the dogs. My only worry is the upstairs has an open staircase (which I've blocked off as best I can but I am sure curiosity will get the better of her), so really I'm looking for any advice / reassurance from anyone who has had a similar situation and does the cat stay clear of the dog zone? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Newborn Pup

hi,
To leave together you must keep separate godown or home for both and for a few days don't go in that room and for food make a small window in that room ,from where food must be transfer and keep some toys there to play and you know oneday a moment will come when they could not live without each other.
ww.oneclickpets.co.uk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yea locking Your terrified cat with your dog that chases and could kill your cat is not a good idea. If i am reading that right...

Make sure you have lots of areas in your house your cat can get to and hide in preferably high up that your dog can't get to. So if your cat travels down stairs she can get away from the dogs.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

We went through this with a friend of ours, who we gave a kitten. Her dog had never been around cats and for the first couple days the dog chased the poor kitten relentlessly.
We went to her house and while she sat on the floor with her dog [on a leash], we also sat on the floor beside her with the kitten. Petting the dog, letting him sniff the cat and vice-a-versa. Every time the dog would try and lunge at the kitten he was reprimanded. Anyway, a couple of days later, after following this routine with her son each night, the dog and cat were able to be in the same room together peacefully. After some time they became the "bestest of buds" and would play together, sleep together, etc.
Don't know if this would work for you, but it might be worth a try.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Ok so you have a feral kitten. Rule number one with bringing any new animal home is to get it used to its environment. Put it in a spare bedroom or bathroom where it can get used to noises and smells. If you can, invest in a dog crate that can hold a litter box, dishes, and a small bed. Feral cats just take a little longer to adjust. Remember before dogs were a predator.

So after a few weeks, introduce your dog slowly. Start with a dog that has respect for cats. Feed this dog by the door/crate and do the same with the kitten at the same time. As for your other dog, bcs are on the maybe list for doing ok with a cat. Make sure this dog is well...VERY well exercised before even attempting to introduce the two. Once the kitten is used to one dog, try it with the other.

It takes a long time but eventually if done right (and your bc learns the cat isn't a toy) they can come together.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
Loki
Luna