Cat Eating Cat Litter - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Cat Eating Cat Litter

Ok so I changed cat litters to this corn cat litter. I just caught my cat trying to eat it. Weird... I figured that's what he'd probably do. My grandparents try feeding the cat anything they eat, especially my grandfather he's the worst about doing it. He does dogs that way too. Now the cat has the bad habit of trying to take your food away from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Hello Earthling

What is the brand?
How old is your cat?

Sometimes cat will eat things. It could be nothing or it could be a sign of a serious problem. You may want to schedule an appointment with the vet just to make sure everything is ok.

Here is something I came across, I have only briefly skimmed it though.
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...t-litters.html

Last edited by canadiancritter; 09-05-2010 at 09:35 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Betta Bomb

Um, I dont have a lot of experience with litter boxes since last cats I lived with were not mine and I didnt do litter. All I know about the corn cob litter is that it is undigestable by small animals such as bunnies, guinea pigs and rodents and could lead to digestive problems and death. Also, once moisture gets into the corn it rots. It needs to be scooped and replaced WAAAAY more frequently than clay litter. I would not recommend it because of the dangers to small animals- though I am sure it is less fatal to cats. Maybe they are just tasting it? I would try to keep them from eating it however, just to avoid costly vet bills (which from reading your post about the dog, you cannot afford)
The male cat I lived with was the same way and would get up on you while eating!! His favorite people food was potato chips and dairy junkie foods, not good for him!! He also licked plates and bowls. Things like that you have to especially careful about because if kitty gets sick off something he'll hide it until it might too late! Cats hide pain and illness as best they can so you have to be on top of their behavior rituals and watching what their poop looks like.... Yes, yes I went there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

@canadiancritter: The brand is "World's Best Cat Litter". My cat will be 4 months the 10th.

Well I mostly think it's because it thinks it's food it can eat, like all the other food he's been eating.

I'll probably change back once this is used up just so the cat won't try and eat it. He didn't try and eat the other litter I used.

Thanks for the link though.

@Purple-Hops: Well after I used this up, which won't take long, I'll switch back to my other litter at least the cat didn't try and eat that.

I try to tell my grandfather not to feed the cat or dog, but he doesn't listen he's all "He'll be alright." I tell them not to feed the dog chicken bones, they do it anyway. I tell him not to feed the cat or dog some other food, he does it anyway.

My cat is the way he is now because my grandfather started feeding him from the table. The cat thinks he's supposed to get some biscuit every morning. Ok, I'll watch him.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Betta Bomb

Chicken bones can kill them. It can splinter in their esophagus and choke them, if it makes it's way to the stomach and intestine liner then it can puncture them and if they dont receive vet care... They will die.
If the animals are yours, you need to step up and take responsibility to ensure their diet remains a safe one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I tried telling them that, but their all like "no it won't" or "whatever". I'm not around every time they decide they want to feed them something so it will be a bit difficult to stop them.

My grandfather likes to tell the cat or dog "The doctor said you couldn't have any" when he's eating before he finally gives them some. I've been wanting to say "And I'm the doctor so I say they can't have any". Maybe I should say that next time. I want to be a vet so technically I am since I know not everything is safe for them to eat.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Betta Bomb

It doesn't make you a vet because you 'know not everything is safe for them to eat'. If you cannot stop them feeding the animals dangerous items then you'll be in a squadron of worry when you're faced with a real vet emergency.
I never planned on ever becoming a vet, I care about my animals and therefore I take precautionaries in order to keep them safe. I read and research daily on new things that may help my little ones even it it seems minimal such as vitamins, leader roles, diet, exercise etc... My vet told me to feed vet food to my dog, it made him sick. Just because you have the title does not mean you're an expert.
Owning a pet is a huge responsibility! You cannot just turn a blind eye to things that can kill your pets! That is neglect. Your grandparents are ignorant and as long as you let them continue this behavior you are not manning up to be a responsible pet parent. You need to step up and continually nag them to stop, if that is wha it takes. :/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you need to pick your battles. Not every human food is bad for your pets, if your grandpa likes to give them treats like that then whatever it isn't going to change because you say so. They are the adults and have more say so in your home. Try to say that chicken bones could really hurt them, but if he wants to give them a scrap of chicken then so be it, if grandpa's happy, the dog is happy, and you are happy it is a win all around.

You can even get his help in training have the dog sit for a piece of chicken. See if you guys could make a healthy people food meal for them such as chicken, peas, and garlic to bond and train your dog.

You seem pretty ungreatful for your grandparents and i think you may want to rethink how you are treating them. You are atleast discribing to us that you tell them what to do, and to fork up the money for your pets. They are allowing you to keep your pets and they don't have to, they could load up the cat and dog and take it to the shelter if they wished, legally they have that right.

You could offer to do something like chores for money for the flea treatments, you could run errands, and so forth for them.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hope you can fully explain to your grandfather the danger of those sharp chicken bones on the animals stomach. Better too if you could give him some examples around...

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
cat, cat litter