Cat food - "Doc's Choice", ..is it good quality? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cat food - "Doc's Choice", ..is it good quality?

I was at my local HY-Vee store today, when I noticed a lady standing at an exibit table promoting this pet food. I stood there and listened to what she had to say, ...I'd asked if it was APCO approved (..even though APCO standards have went south in recent years), she said no. She went on to tell me that their pet food "Doc's Choice", was cooked at a lower temperature than most foods and that because of this, the protein and nutrients don't get cooked out of the food. This part is well understood by me, and is considered common logic really.

But, I'd like to hear what some of you think about this particular brand. Please advise.

Thanks!
reeB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:00 PM

I've never heard of it. The only thought on this would be that if the food is cooked at a lower temp there could be the possibility of higher bacterial contamination.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeB_relliM
...I'd asked if it was APCO approved (..even though APCO standards have went south in recent years), she said no.
Oooops!!! I meant AAFCO, not APCO (lol!) Yep, ..it's been a long day.

Right after I'd posted this, I selected to "edit" my post, however, I'd just started to fix it, then it dawned on me that I had to take my other half to work. So, when I got back home I finished editting and when I clicked on "submit", it gave me an error saying that you only have 15 minutes to edit a post. Ummmm, may I ask why there is a limitation on this???

reeB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've not heard of the brand either. You'd need to provide a list of ingredients. Are you sure the name's correct? Google brought up nothing.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeB_relliM
So, when I got back home I finished editting and when I clicked on "submit", it gave me an error saying that you only have 15 minutes to edit a post. Ummmm, may I ask why there is a limitation on this???

reeB
There always has been, mostly to keep the threads readable. If someone has replied to something and then you go back and change it, other users can get confused.

Stephanie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well, I dunno what to think about this. I just did some searching too, and came up with this "2004 Feed Samples by Labeler" (pdf file) Click on the binoculars and type the word "Doc's" into the open field. You'll see that they have failed many different tests, ...additionally, if you use Yahoo search engine, you'll see that in 2004 they were fined for failing to label custom canned dog food, and for failing to renew their feed license. I'm glad that I researched this more, because I'm no longer interested in this food for my cat, ...he deserves better.

This info came from Missouri's Bureau of Feed and Seed site. I dunno if it is the same company, but I certainly wouldn't doubt it.

These company representitive people from "Doc's Choice" will be at the same store tomorrow promoting their pet food. I wish I knew some good questions to ask about this food. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Robin

Last edited by reeB_relliM; 04-08-2005 at 10:23 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Doc's Choice

This is quite late for a response but I never knew of this site until a couple of days ago. My name is Gene and I am the veterinarian that has developed the diets that Robin or reeB has mentioned in her threads. To set the record straight, we have never been associated with the company in Missouri that has violated numerous laws. Our company was called Ranchers Choice and we have made Doc's Choice pet foods for over 20 years. We market mainly to 5 states in the geographic center of the U.S. We don't know when this Missouri company was developed but I'd venture to say that it was a new startup that copied our name and failed miserably. We did ship some Doc's Choice to a few kennels in Missouri in the early 90's and maybe that is where that company got our name to copy. It has created some confusion in the past.
As for the quality of our pelleted pet foods: It is true that they are more digestible than the standard kibbled pet food. There are several reasons for this: The formulations including high quality proteins for carnivores, pre-gelatinization of the starches in the cereal grains, and a low temperature process that does not destroy the heat sensitive ingredients such as but not limited to Vitamin A, Vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, and several valuable amino acids which are necessary building blocks for animal health. Also, due to the low temperature we do not destroy the natural glucosamine and condroitin. Bacterial contamination of our foods has always been a non-issue! Fewer stools, better coats and overall great health have always been the results of using our products.
The company that makes our Doc's Choice now is Choice Pet Foods of Omaha, Nebraska. It is still made at the same plant in Nebraska using the same high quality ingredients and the very same formulas that I've spent over a quarter of a century developing. I simply retired but I was a perfectionist at my work as I owned a veterinary clinic and also raised, trained and showed dogs for 23 years. Google Choice Pet Foods and ask them where these superior quality products can be found. I am sorry that Robin's cat was not fed our Premium all these years. It would truly have been a great benefit to her pet's health.
Gene Graney, DVM
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 PM

If this person would have looked at the package of Doc's Choice she would have seen that the pet foods are made only 75 miles away from her. We have always had our company name, address and telephone number on our packages. Rather than throwing her questions out in cyberspace for people in New Jersey and Carolina to answer, she could have called the company direct and had all of her questions answered correctly.
Since many small companies are local and regional, it is difficult for someone 1300-1600 miles away to make an accurate assessment.
Gene Graney, DVM
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Doc's Choice is an outstanding pet food manufactured by Choice Pet Foods in Omaha, Ne. Their phone number is 402-933-6093. This is not the same food made by the outfit in Missouri that got in trouble. This food has been developed by a veterinarian and used by thousands of satisfied owners for over 20 years.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:06 PM

I'm so glad I found this post because I needed the phone number to reach Choice Pet Foods. I have been feeding my dog Doc's Choice Puppy food for a year and have loved it so far. She has never had worms, she has a beautiful shiny coat and is exceptionally active and healthy. Her eyes are bright and she is highly intelligent. I have been completely happy with Doc's Choice dog food and was wishing I could find the cat food for my cats. Then something shocking happened and, from reading this thread, I think I know why. When I buy any pet food I immediately store it in a container with a tight fitting lid and then throw the bag away. (That's why I didn't have the phone number.) I just bought a large bag of Docs Choic dog food 4 days ago, but yesterday when I opened the bucket to scoop out some of it for my dog, it was completely coated with a layer of MOLD! I have never in my life known of dry dog food that would mold, expecially when it is kept in a closed container. I am assuming from what I have read here that it is because of the low processing temperatures. I definitely don't like over processed pet food but this is rediculous! I am actually very disappointed because I was so happy with everything else I had learned about this food. Since today is Sunday, the 4th of July, I will be calling the company first thing Tuesday morning. Thank you for the information.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 AM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene View Post
Doc's Choice is an outstanding pet food manufactured by Choice Pet Foods in Omaha, Ne. Their phone number is 402-933-6093. This is not the same food made by the outfit in Missouri that got in trouble. This food has been developed by a veterinarian and used by thousands of satisfied owners for over 20 years.

Your food is NOT a good food for dogs.

Doc's Choice Premium Adult
Chicken by-product meal, oven roasted whole corn, distiller's dried grain, whole wheat, feeding oatmeal, chicken fat, alfalfa meal, dried whole egg, flaxseed, brewer's dried yeast, salt, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin D supplement, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (Vitamin K supplement), thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), choline chloride, cobalt carbonate, zinc oxide, iron carbonate, copper sulfate, ethlenediamine dihydroiodide, manganous oxide, sodium selenite.

There's not even any meat in it. chicken by product meal as the first ingredient? Grains, grains, and more grains?

Last edited by somebody; 07-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
It's all for them

And what's really scary is that on your website you make the claim that your puppy food is okay to feed cats

Cats have very very different nutritional needs than dogs OR puppies and should not be fed dog or puppy food of any kind.

For one thing they do not manufacture their own taurine and have to have it added to their food.

No taurine listed below in the ingredients for your puppy food.

INGREDIENTS:

Chicken meal, roasted whole corn, chicken fat, whole wheat, alfalfa meal, dried whole egg, flaxseed, brewer's dried yeast, salt, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin D supplement, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (Vitamin K supplement), thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), choline chloride, cobalt carbonate, zinc oxide, iron carbonate, copper sulfate, ethlenediamine dihydroiodide, manganous oxide, sodium selenite.

Cats should not be fed dog food. At All.

PS you might want to remove this claim from your website. You leave yourself open to all kinds of lawsuits from people whose cats may go blind, develop eye ulcers, lose their eyes, or suffer from malnutrition, after living on DocsChoice puppy food for a while.

Last edited by somebody; 07-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 11:30 AM
It's all for them

to add my source to above comment

http://www.docschoicepetfood.com/faqs.shtml

Quote:

Why does Doc's Choice use only two grains?
Doc's Choice uses two grains - whole oven-roasted corn and heat-processed wheat because that is all that is needed. Many competitors use cheap and lower nutritional grains such as corn gluten meal, brewer's distilled grains, soybean meal, etc.

Does Doc's Choice use fillers?
No, Doc's choice does not use fillers such as rice, hulls, soy hulls, etc. Most companies use them solely to add volume. They are cheap!

Why does Doc's Choice use chicken as the main protein source?
Dogs are carnivores and need meat protein. Chicken is our important source of easily digestible meat protein. Dogs love it, and it provides a high quality protein important to their health.

Why is the temperature Doc's Choice is produced at important?
All pet foods contain grains, and thus, the grains must be cooked at very high temperatures to cook the starches away so your pet does not develop loose stools and other problems.

Doc's Choice uses a special process. Our grains are first oven roasted to cook the starches and then combined with all other ingredients and pelletized at a very low temperature.

Most other dog food is kibbled using an extruder, and the grains are mixed with the other ingredients and then heated to very high temperatures - 500 degrees and higher. At these temperatures, you damage some of the important vitamins and amino acids which are important for your pet. With Doc's Choice, our process methodology protects these vital nutrients.

What is the best way to switch my dog over to Doc's Choice from another dog food?
There are different ways to convert your dog over to Doc's Choice, but the one we recommend is to begin by mixing Doc's Choice with your other dog food at a 50% rate for the first couple of days and then up to 75% after that. On day four or five you can switch your pet entirely to Doc's Choice.

Does Doc's Choice add any preservatives to its feed?
Doc's Choice does not add any chemical preservatives to either its Puppy or Adult formula.

Can Doc's Choice be fed to my cat?
Yes, the Premium Puppy feed can be fed to your cat. It is nutritionally balanced for both cats and dogs.

Does Doc's Choice meet the nutritional requirements established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO)?
Yes, Doc's Choice meets and exceeds the recommended nutritional requirements for growth (puppies) and maintenance (adult) dog profiles.

Where can I buy Doc's Choice?
Please visit our Retail Locations page. If your store does not currently carry Doc's Choice, ask them to order it in for you or to contact Choice Pet Foods by calling (402) 933-6093.

Last edited by somebody; 07-05-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Tags
dog food, pet food, pet foods