Cat has really bad smelling feces and overweight - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Cat has really bad smelling feces and overweight

Hey if anyone could help please do. My family members and guest when the come over are tired of smelling my cats litter box all the time. My cat is 20 pounds and no matter what we do. He's four years old now. His litter box always smells horrible and it even over powers air sprays and other smellies. I could just clean his litter box and scrub it and a few hours later when he uses it, it's back to smelling horrible. He's on Purina Health Weight cat food right now. He does run around and will even play with the dogs. So anyone how could help me on one of these or both of these please help.

P.S any good brans of cat litter that will help this and that is really good for the cat

<3 my man
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
It's all for them

You need to change your cat's diet. Obesity is a very serious problem in cats, it leads to diabetes and heart failure, and your cat is prone to hepatatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease)also, if he should stop eating for a few days.

Adding a probiotic to his diet daily will help with his digestion. When poop smells bad it is because he is not digesting his food properly. The food you are feeding him now is full of grains and other things a cat's body cannot digest. That's why you need to put him on a better, canned, diet.

First thing to do is take him to the vet for a check up and accurate weight.

Don't let the vet sell you "diet" food. These foods are just more of the same, carb laden junk.

Buy a baby scale to monitor your cat's weight loss. It is very dangerous for a cat to lose weight too fast. No more than one fourth pound a week.

Start your cat on a meal schedule. The goal is to feed him three times a day. He may need more frequent meals as he adjusts to being feed on a schedule.

Measure out how much food he should have for the entire day, and feed from this amount so you know how much he is getting every day.

Begin to transition him to a wet diet. Choose canned foods that are high in meat and low in carbohydrates. Start with only one meal a day of canned food, gradually, over a period of several weeks, work up to getting him on an all canned food diet.

This will help with his weight loss, his general health, and his feces odor.

Cats are obligate carnivores and dry food is very bad for them. Here is a good website that can help you understand more about why a wet diet is better for your cat.

www.catinfo.org

Declawing: please read this first

Last edited by somebody; 03-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Betta Bomb

Follow "someone's" advice. The food you feed currently is crap. Holistic, all meat diets are the best thing. You will find, after the transition, an almost immediate change. I think it took my cat about 3-4 days and we couldn't smell his poop anymore.

Engage in more interactive games with your cat, make him play for his food. Make him hunt feather wands and those wire cat dancers.

Tags
litter weight