Cat Litter Allergies!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Exclamation Cat Litter Allergies!?

Any suggestions? I am becoming more and more allergic to cat litter. I have tried all of the normal scoopable brands of cat litter and all do the same thing to me. Itchy arms, sneezing, watery eyes, and making my cheek bones hurt. And it seem to last all day.
My husband cleans the cat box so I do not have to. But I cannot even go anywhere near the side of the house that has it. Nor can I touch the cats when they have been near it. Also, clean litter even gets to me.
Does anyone have any options for me to try? I would like somethng that does not stink and that my cats could easily get used to.
I fear that my allergies will get worse and I do not want to even think about rehoming my cats just because of their litter.
Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Betta Bomb

Hmm, if you're allergic to the dust (which it sounds like you are) it's time to get out of the habit of buying clay litter. Think, if it's bothering you- imagine how the cats feel!! Anyway, Yesterday's News is an aborbant odor free recycled newspaper litter. You can buy giant bags for like 20$. I never used it with cats, only bunnies, but the ammonia stink was not there!! I haven't tried kiln dried pine but I think people use that for cats too. Farm stores might have it. Good luck!!! Allergies suck
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Well my ferrets have the wood pellet stuff like people use for cats sometimes. But when it gets wet it turns to powder. So you have to dump the whole thing out sooner than cat litter.
I will check out the yesterdays news stuff when I go to the petstore.
My husband will probably go for it once I tell him that I might be able to clean the cat box again. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pets:

Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

orjan makes cat littre for people who have allergies, appearntly so iv heard.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh, YN might be cheaper at the grocery store!! I've seen it at WalMart and Sobeys for 15$ tops whereas the pet store sells it up to 10$more!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM
It's all for them

Wood based litters are dusty too. As are corn based such as yesterday's news.

Cats pride makes a litter called Cats pride All Natural, which has no dust. It is a clay litter though, I don't know how they make it not dusty, I love it, though I mix it with regular clay litter so I still have dust.

I tried to switch my cats to a safflower seed litter based on The SmartCatBox System. (I made my own) I was very excited about it, but sadly, my one cat who has FLUTD was not able to adjust to the safflower seed litter.

http://www.smartcatbox.com/

Safflower seed has no dust and is re-useable as it is non absorbent. The litter box has two layers, the top layer has holes and the pee goes down to the second box and has to be dumped out.

There is also a crystal litter but I have not tried it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone!

My Pets:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Betta Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
Wood based litters are dusty too. As are corn based such as yesterday's news.

There is also a crystal litter but I have not tried it.
Yesterday's News is a newspaper pellet. It's not corn! lol I've seen the corn ones and they apparently mold and smell quite bad once its wet.
I work at a grocery store and SO many people buy the crystal pellets. It absorbs the wetness and is easy to scoop from what I've been told.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Yesterday's News is a newspaper pellet. It's not corn! lol I've seen the corn ones and they apparently mold and smell quite bad once its wet.
I work at a grocery store and SO many people buy the crystal pellets. It absorbs the wetness and is easy to scoop from what I've been told.

Yeah that was a goof on my part. I meant to say "as are corn based such as Worlds Best Litter" LOL!

I read that the yesterdays news gets very soggy and odor is bad.

I tried the Worlds best corn but my kitten ate it. And yes I had read about the problems with mold and bugs, also.

The odor was bad with the pine litters too, after only a day or two.

I am currently mixing cat's pride naturals, a clumping litter, with plain clay. That is working for me, for the time being. The cats pride naturals is not dusty at ALL, but the clay is. I won't switch to all clumping though, as I have a male cat who squats very low when he pees, I just can't risk it. Using the clay mixed in the the clumping litter sifts to the bottom and the bigger pieces stay on top.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Betta Bomb

I only ever had cats on clumping clay litter. Mind you, I haven't cleaned a box in years. I guess your opinion on YN for cats would mean more than mine. I only got little bunny bums. Thanks for your input!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Is Fresh Step considered a crystal litter?

My Pets:

Tags
litter