Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Cat not using the litter box to poop anymore

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Kaylee 
#1 ·
If anyone remembers Pearl our newest cat well were having some problems with her. She was using the litter box very well when we first got her and then started pooping on the floor. We took her to the vet as there was blood in it as well. She had a bacterial infection which is now gone. She was using the litter box again, but now shes doing it again. She went back to the vet and there was nothing wrong with her. Today though we noticed blood in her poop again so she will be going back to the vet again.
Does anyone know why she may be doing this and what we can do? Besides her being sick as since she has blood in her poop again were pretty sure she is. We have never had a cat do this before.

#3 ·
Thats what were thinking too with the infection except she was fine for 2 weeks no blood or anything, the vet said it had cleared up and now theres blood in it again. Were thinking it most likely came back. We clean out the boxes 2-3 times per day also. I have heard that before though about some cats being picky about a clean litter box.

#4 ·
If it came back, it was never completely eradicated. A different antibiotic for a longer time. Maybe flagyl for a month or so might knock it out.

On the other hand:

It is hurting her somehow when she poops, and she blames the box, so she avoids it. Add a couple of new boxes to help her.

I wonder if she is having constipation issues. If she is straining, that may cause tearing which would cause bleeding when she poops.

What kind of diet is she on?

#5 ·
We actually did add another litter box but never thought about it hurting her when she poops. I'm not sure if shes straining when she poops as we never see her poop we just find it on the floor and as all of our cats poop looks different we can recognize whose it is. Although she has been having diarrhea on and off this past week some days she has it then shes fine. Our vet has given her blood tests before which have all come back clean. Shes stumping even our vet as to what could be up with her. When we called yesterday to mention what was going on she said its possible that the infection came back or it could be something else so she wants to examine her again and do blood work again. She said she looks between the ages of 9-12 but more towards 12. So shes an older cat.
All of our other cats are fed Natures Best, while one cat is on Iams Digestive Care as she has a digestive problem, Pearl was taken in as a stray and she didn't take to Natures Best so we had to try a bunch of different foods. She liked Purina Cat Chow so thats what shes on.
We are open to changing their food and have been thinking about it for quite a while.

#7 ·
My mom was actually wondering if that could be whats up with her.
She was on a medicated canned food diet before when she was sick along with the antibiotics so we know she will eat canned food.
Is there any certain food you would recommend for us to try for her if the vet finds nothing wrong again? We will be asking her as well.
I will for sure keep you guys posted.

#8 ·
I am having fantastic results with my kitty who has constipation issues and a canned food called Merrick Before Grain. It's not cheap but she is doing so well on it I just am amazed.

Before she was getting Wellness canned grain free, three flavors, beef and chicken, chicken, and turkey. After the recent wellness recall I realized I needed to vary her diet more just in case, so I started her with the Before Grain. I feed the Turkey, beef and the chicken (I never give my cats fishy foods)

She is on about half and half now, half Wellness, half Before Grain, but there is a marked improvement in her energy level, coat quality and ease of pooping recently, I started the BG about 6 weeks ago.

Cats with constipation do best on a grain free diet. And they need a LOT of water.

I add water to every meal I feed her, I feed small meals, about a quarter can at a time with a couple tablespoons of warm water added to it. I cut the food into small chunks.

#9 ·
We will try it out if that happens to be the case with her. She can't see the vet until Monday due to them being closed for Easter weekend, and other places are closed as well. We haven't noticed any more blood though.
The water bowls are always filled with water, and refilled throughout the day so they have fresh water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.