Cat pooping outside letter box - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Angry Cat pooping outside letter box

Long story short I have 4 kids under 6 and a cat that we didn't want but ended up getting left here by a family member by mistake that cant take her back until who knows when and lives 13 hours away... the cat is 14 years old and doesn't like children and runs from them... first we kept her outside but I felt bad and we were having other animals get into our garage from that so we brought her and and she's been in our extra room upstairs for 4 months now with no problem but a week ago I found that she was pooping and peeing at the bottom of the stairs and put her out for the night cleaned it and let her back again. She didn't do it for about 2-3 days and then again today there's poop again! I dont know why she's doing it... I wouldn't mind keeping her if we could keep her in and she wouldn't do that but if she does it again I may get rid of her. Any ideas?

Last edited by mommamoo; 02-25-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I am allergic to maths

Does she usually go outside or deos she have a litter box? If she has a litter box maybe you could put it where she has being pooping.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

she has a litter box and has been litter trained all her life. she has spent time outside as well though. i cant out her litter at the bottom of the stairs where shes pooping because my baby would get into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I always ask the same question - is the box big enough? is it a covered box? I am wondering if it is a covered box - she may not like it as she may feel trapped. It sounds like she is trying to tell you something. She could be ill.
Think about the times that she did this - was anything out of the usual? Were the kids with her more than usual? Did someone she likes leave for a trip?
My friends cat always poo's when her husband leaves for a business trip.
Sorry for all the questions.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I am allergic to maths

Maybe you could get a spray bottle to squirt her with when shes naughty
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

well her litter box is enclosed and has been for a few months now and nothing new has happened nor has anyone left... i dont think a spray bottle would work for this because i dont see her do it. just find it a while later.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Is the litter box clean? Sometimes cats can get picky even if they have been litter box trained. If the litter box is too dirty, or has too many poops in it then she might not want to use it. Also take the cover off and see if that helps.

I know you are probably busy but you might have to take a few minutes out of your day and scoop the litter box.

*Missy*
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 PM

Cats definitely do not like to use a dirty box - pinkie is right. Often people think the cat is being dirty but it's really because they are so clean that they are going outside the box. I have learned this from experience.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I am allergic to maths

I agree, cats have a keen sense of smell and like to keep their teratory clean, most cats wont even poop in their own garden
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 PM

Be sure to throughly clean the spot she goes in with a enzymatic cleaner. Nature's Miracle is the first one that comes to my mind but there are others now. Often kitties are drawn back to the same spot because they smell it even when we can't.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

the litter box was clean and she has been having the same things done to her littler box all her life. why would it change how she acts now?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Rodentologist

Has she been to the vet? Peeing and pooping outside of the litterbox is a very common first sign of a urinary tract infection. Other health problems can cause it as well, but that is themost common.

Mommamoo, she has had a very very difficult few months. She's been bounced from home to home, stuck outside, and then brought inside with many children, which are probably frightening her and are a big and difficult change. Please try to be patient with this poor kitty, I know you're trying everything you can.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

she was my cat. i got her when i was 9 but when i left home at 17 my mom kept her. she stayed with my mom for 7 years kid free and then my mom came and stayed with me for a few months and brought her and when they were ready to go my husband let her out not knowing and they couldn't find her so left her here. we had a rule of no animals in the house so she stayed outside for a few months but then it was getting cold and she had no where to go so i brought her and and she was doing real good. she's always been an indoor cat that went outside. she loves it outside... when i brought her in this time i gave her a bath, changed her letter again, cleaned the floor when she was going, and moved her food/water. shes been doing good so far.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Newborn Pup

Hi - I have gone through recently where my 6 year old house cat would not use the litter box at all. I had changed litter twice, thinking it was a smell he didn't like. Back in December I took him to the vet and he had a UTI. We went through 2 weeks of antibiotics. He still wouldn't use the litter box, but he was peeing all over the house. A few weeks ago he was straining a great deal to use the bathroom and nothing was coming out hardly at all. Still hadn't been using the litter box at all! When I took him back to the vet we thought it was a recurring UTI, but this time it turns out he had severe constipation! They helped "clean him out" and now a week later he is back to his old happy self and using the litter box just fine. They also put him on a higher fiber food to help.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:48 AM

what a little turd
that cat

lol

sounds like a cute cat even with the poo problem

Tags
cat, littler box, shelter