Cat pooping outside of litter box - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Cat pooping outside of litter box

My Mom's 9 year old cat, Tigger, has started pooping in front of the litter box. He pees in it, but doesn't poop. It doesn't matter if she has just cleaned the litter box or not. Any suggestions? She has never had a problem before.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nicole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Miss New Booty

Ohh man Nicole, how awful. As everyone knows, I'm most familiar with the "peeing outside the box" here! lol! Has anything changed in the household to maybe stress him out? Or a change of litter? I know Feliway helps alot with urinating outside of the box but I'm not sure if it works with pooping outside the box. But if he is stressed, it would help calm him a bit? Hmmm...
I hope everything is ok with Tigger!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 05:11 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

Great advice - I would try changing the litter, and also call the vet. It could be a health related problem causing the kitty to do this.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

thanks guys! i will relay the messages to my Mom

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

In addition, give the kitty an extra litter box and make sure the litter you are using is unscented. I

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

Something else that may help is putting a lil' dirt in with the litter.Just dig some up from the yard.Its supposed to attract their marking instincts!!Good luck
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:16 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Hey this is all great advice guys... I don't know if anyone remembers but before Delta was born, I posted about Sam doing this exact same thing. Well, after reading about what might be causing it, I attributed it to stress of us having a baby soon. And it was, because after Delta was born and Sam got a bit more comfortable and knew it didn't mean much as far as she goes, she started to use her box again for pooping. And then, as we are moving out of the old house into our new house, we saw that she started to do it again.

She is just an old cat, and probably gets stressed out pretty easily. Maybe its the same with Tigger...?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Ok this may sound like a crazy suggestion. When i first got trinty she had no problem useing the litter box but i would sometimes find little surprizes generally around finals week or when i was sick. I was unable to clean the litter box as often and she would toss a little poo outside of the box.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I have a friend who had this problem. She switched litter to the non-clumping kind and it solved the problem.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:31 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Ariel, did you forget the suggestion??

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory
Ariel, did you forget the suggestion??
Maybe i did

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 09:28 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Well,I read in a book to but foil around the box, it won't leave a mess and cats don't like the way it feels on their feet.I never tried it but thats what the book said.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've had a couple cats poop outside the box or drag poop out. Everytime it was because we did something to upset them. Either my roommate would leave for a couple of days and leave the cats with me or with the one cat it was because she was an inside/outside farm cat that did not want to be kept inside. My roommates cat even went as far as putting her new Christmas present on top of the turd to show how mad she was that my roommate left her for the day. Cats are very tempermental and they love to show it.

Tags
litter box