Photos! Cat Powered Cat Feeder - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Cat Powered Cat Feeder

Tired of the dogs stealing Amadeus food (which is costing a lot) and feeling that Amadeus should work for his food, I looked around on the internet and made the "Cat Powered Cat Feeder".

The feeder is made out of a plastic drink bottle, a small toy ball, a rubber band, a splint and duck tape (good ol'duck tape).

The design is quiet simple. The bottle is tuned upside down and the bottom (now the top) is removed. A wooden splint (you could use any other strong material) is used to create the beam in which will provide tension. I used a single wooden splint doubled and duck taped, cut to fit across the width of the bottom and securely sitting in a cut out in each side.

A cheap plastic cat ball (the kind with holes) was used to create the stopper. Thread a twist tie through the top of the ball and twist the tie. Then the excess twist tie (what was just twisted together) was used to secure the rubber band to the ball. The twist tie will prevent Amadeus from chewing the rubber band as well as fastening the rubber band to the ball.

The rubber band was then placed threw thew opening of the bottle (where you would drink from) and secured to the beam, by simply slipping it on (no tieing required). The ball was now securely held in place and would stop food from falling out.

I taped the feeder to the door where Amadeus food bowl is usually and with careful placement the bowl was place beneath the feeder and testing began.

I showed Amadeus how the feeder worked so I am hoping he'll get it soon enough.

He cannot get to the food from the top and the feeder only releases a few pieces of food at a time, in less Amadeus figures out that holding the ball will make more food come out.

If you have not already figured out how this feeder works I guess I could tell you.

The food is pulled down by gravity, the ball is stopping the food from falling out. When Amadeus pushes the ball a bit, a few pieces of food will fall out.

Very simple. I will keep you all updated on Amadeus progress and the success or failure of the feeder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

That looks like a good idea! I bet Amadeus will have fun getting his food!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

He is starting to show interest in it but he hasn't figured out that he needs to use some force and that a simple tap doesn't work to release the delisous good ess trapped inside.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Amadeus has started to get it. He seems to realize that the food is being dispensed from the feeder via the movement of the ball.

He is still having trouble getting the right pressure to move the ball enough to let food out each time, but he is using his paws AND mouth the get the food out since he is such a smart kitty.

Hopefully he'll be doing it all by himself and without to much encouragement each time (as well as demonstrations) in a few days.

Then its on to teaching his something else.

Last edited by canadiancritter; 10-24-2009 at 10:22 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:39 AM
can't think of one, help

very clever

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

I now declare the "Cat Powered Cat Feeder" a sucess. I also declare Amadeus as the worlds smartest cat that I know.

Amadeus can now feed himself when he wants, of course he only gets a couple of pieces, but it keeps him busy and mentally entertained.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh my gosh!! You are soooo smart!! That is a fantastic idea!! You're destined to be an inventor for sure!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvPets View Post
Oh my gosh!! You are soooo smart!! That is a fantastic idea!! You're destined to be an inventor for sure!!!

Thanks, but I can't take complete credit I saw a picture of something similar and just built this one using the materials that I had available.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

I kind of think the dogs have figured it out........ or their eating crumbs I'm not sure.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:47 AM
RAT ADDICT

Dogs are smart too...and if they see the kitty working it,they are sure to try.It is a good idea though.I am not creative enough to make something like that.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Dogs are smart too...and if they see the kitty working it,they are sure to try.It is a good idea though.I am not creative enough to make something like that.

True... my dogs open the back door. I hope that they don't know how to work it or else I'll have to come up with something else.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's a very innovative cat feeder, feeding both mouth and mind.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:55 PM

Great idea, although I dont think at least one of mine (pepper) would figure it out...not the brightest bulb. Otherwise, I would be all for that. Make them work for it, and no problems with them eating too fast.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballOtrouble View Post
Great idea, although I dont think at least one of mine (pepper) would figure it out...not the brightest bulb. Otherwise, I would be all for that. Make them work for it, and no problems with them eating too fast.

I think that almost any cat that is willing to learn and has a love of food can get it. It only took about a day for Amadeus (9 months old) to earn how to use it.

My specific goal in making this was to make Amadeus work for his food, provide him with mental stimulation and because I could.