Cat problems .... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Angry Cat problems ....

I'm having problems with my siamese cat, Sam. Up until two weeks ago, he used the litter boxes with no problems, as my other three cats do. Then, I brought a rescue cat home for a few days and ever since then, Sam has been pooing and peeing everywhere BUT the litter box. Mainly, he's been doing his business in my bathtub. I shut the bathroom door and then he looked for the nearest pile of clothes. If not the clothes, he did his business in my bed (gross!). I picked up the clothes and shut my bedroom door -- now he goes on the carpet (berber!) I've caught him in the act a few times. The rescue cat is gone. He was only here for about 5 days. I don't know what to do?? This is making me insane. The worst of it is ... he's been getting into the dog food and eating it (along with his own food) and now he has "loose" poos. Extremely gross and hard to clean up. Any ideas on curbing this bad behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:55 PM

How long has the rescue kitty been gone? Sam is probably marking his territory by going to the bathroom everywhere. The only advice I have is to try to catch him in the act and put him where he is supposed to go to the bathroom. Did the rescue kitty use Sam's litterbox? If so, maybe Sam doesn't want to use it because the other kitty's smell is on it. I hope he starts using the litterbox again soon!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I did catch him a couple times. I put his nose close to the area and said "no". I took him to his litter box and placed him in it (he promptly jumped out). I never saw the rescue cat use the litter box. I think he was too scared because of the other cats. He took liberties in the house, as well. Maybe Sam is thinking it's okay since the other cat did it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 03:12 PM

Oh, thats terrible. You've had quite a mess to clean up! Sam is probably trying mark his territory because the other cat went to the bathroom in your house. Cats are very territorial. If he picks a certain area over and over, you can try spraying it with something that smells bad to cats (they sell it at petstores, I think its called cat-away or something). I hope he stops soon. Thats got to be so frustrating!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 03:16 PM

I agree, he is rebelling over the rescue cat. He probably smells the other cats scent in the areas where it did its business and is trying to cover its scent with his.

I agree with Steph. Try some of the repellent stuff and see how it goes. Fingers crossed for you that the rebellion stops.

btw.. was this rescue by chance a male? Was it intact?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

the other boy was neutered and ALSO Siamese (imagine that?)
I did try some of that stuff to repell the cat. I put it on his mouth and nose like the directions said, then sprayed it on various areas. No such luck. I tried that last week. this is really grossing me out ... as you can imagine. It wouldn't be so bad if it was "hard" droppings, if you know what I mean. Any ideas on how to keep him out of the dog food? They're driving me to drink. LoL jk
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 08:29 PM

Do you leave dry food out all day for your dogs or do you feed them at certain times? If you leave dry food out, I have no idea unless there is a place where the cats can't get to it. I'm sure I'd have the same problem if I had dogs. Crazy kitties!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

my dog gets fed once at Night. the cats get fed in the morning and night.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww I'm sorry to hear this is happening with your kitty. Has Sam gotten any better with going outside the box? Like everyone said, it sounds like he was upset about the foster kitty. Have you heard of a spray called Feliway? Dena first told me about it and I have heard and read such wonderful things about it and my vet reccomended it to me, too. It helps with behavior problems, going potty outside the boxes and can help calm your cat in certain situations, too. Here is the link if you want to check it out!

http://www.feliway.com/

They have this at PetSmart, too.

About the dog food... Hmmm occasionally, my cats will try a piece of dog food, but nothing major. This is a hard one! I'm sorry you are going through this and I hope Sam is doing better! Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:31 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

HOW are they getting to the dog food? By ripping the bag open or climbing into it?

In Louisiana my family used to keep cats and other animals out of our dog food by putting the bags in metal trashcans with lids. It doesn't have to be metal, but you could try putting the dog food bag in a container to where the cats cannot get to it. This is how we keep our cats from eating dog food (that, and making sure the dog food is never left out when the kitties have free run of the apartment).

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 06:24 AM

I am with everyone else, sounds like your kitty is just being very territorial or upset by the foster kitty that was there. I would try using what Jackie suggested, also to help get the scent up from where Sam and the previous foster kitty have gone I would use a 50/50 vinegar/water solution. I say 50/50 because this seems to be on going and we who have cats know how that smell can be. I would test a small area on your carpet, and if by chance the solution fades your carpet just cut back on the vinegar and add more water. I have never had a problem with using vinegar/water and I've used it on everything from carpets to beds. I have had my share in the past with not so happy kitties and have had them use the bathroom on my bed as well, however I was just lucky that the methods I used work, which were no different then what you have already tried....... best of wishes to ya, keep us updated.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

the only thing I could offer for help is to get some more littler boxes and put them where sam is going on the carpet. I know it will be annoying at first but if he starts using them. it would save your carpet not to mention your nose.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

Tags
dog food, dry food, litter box, litter boxes