Cat question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Question Cat question

Ok, as some of you might have read, I have a 7 month old tabby named Annie. She is my first cat, so I have a question for you all.

When we first got her (as a kitten) she absolutely HATED being outside. So she was an indoor cat only. We have a cat door that she just recently learned to use. She started going outside for a period of a few min. a few weeks ago and now she's outside for hours at a time. She is spayed & has all of her shots, so I'm not worried about her getting pregnant, ect. But she has stayed outside almost all night long a few times (I say 'almost' because when I went to sleep she still wasn't in, but when we got up in the morning she was) and I'm worried. What could she be doing out there? Should I not let her use the cat door at night? I do know the neighbors have a male cat (who is strictly an outside cat) and I've seen them next to each other (not fighting) so I'm wondering if she has a boyfriend??? I just don't want her to become an outside cat.

(Does any of this even make sense?)

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Personally, I'm totally against pet cats being outside. I see too many instances of FIP, fight injuries, car accidents, FIV/FeLV, and URIs to ever be comfortable having a cat outside. If it were me, I would do away with the cat door altogether.

She may be a 'social butterfly' since she's staying out so long and hanging around the male cat.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Personally, I'm totally against pet cats being outside.
See, that's my thought on it too. My fiance, however, thinks that cats are 'meant' to be outside. Not totally an outside cat, but free to go out there whenever she wants. I'm not 'too' worried about her getting run over as we live pretty far from the road, BUT it is a concern.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:12 PM

My two cents... I would have to agree with Jade. There are far too many dangers for outside cats, especially catching the diseases that Jade listed. Myself, I prefer to have peace of mind knowing my cats are at home, inside all the time. Outside cats can also get ticks & fleas.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

When I lived up north, our cats used to go outside all the time, That said, they came in before I went to bed. I would not let them out at night-although they will prefer to be outside at night. Now that I'm in the city, I would never let them out, it would be like giving them a death certificate. So to sum up, if you are far from the road and other imediate dangers, I would let her out, but not at night.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so I should just put something in front of her cat door at night?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 11:40 AM

Can you build a small outside run for her? My friends did this with chicken wire and a pine frame. It allows the cat to go out but not roam. It can be attached right to the cat door so that she can still use the door but can't go too far. I will try to find a picture if you'd like.

I also prefer cats to be inside. However, if you are going to let her out, make sure she has a collar with ID and I would also microchip her.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 12:49 PM

I live in a very rural area so there are many people with outside cats. I was brought up to believe that cats should not be let outside. Since your cat was an indoor cat before than she has less experience with the outside world and is at more risk. Besides all of the diseases and the other human risks there is also the possibility of her being attacked by other wild animals including owls, dogs, racoons...etc. By me our biggest predators are cyote and owls.

If you prefer the cat to go outside than they have cat doors with locks on them. This will prevent her from going out when you don't want her too or from anyone else coming in. They also make ones with a "key" to put on the color which only allows her to go in and out and can also be locked. I agree with candice on collar with ID and microchip and make sure she is frontlined to protect against fleas and ticks because she will bring them into your house.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies... No more responses needed. I will definitely look into getting a cat door with a 'lock' but I'm pretty sure that's not an option as we are renting & the landlord is pretty 'strict' when it comes to modifying anything....

BTW-She does have a collar with id tags/is tattooed/& microchipped AND is treated for heartworm & fleas/ticks.... No worries there
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 02:53 PM

Hmm, if it's your landlord's cat door, maybe ask him about a lock. I know that some of them have a plastic piece that you slid into the cat door to keep it closed.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:34 AM

There is a lot of danger out doors for kitties. I think just keeping her in at night would insure more safety.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 07:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

we have a cat door at my parents' house that just lead to an enclosed patio (enclosed on the top and everything)...but to lock the door we just duct tape it! duct tape IS from the gods..

Tags
chicken wire, indoor cat, male cat, wild animal, wild animals