Cat shows - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Flag Cat shows

Does anyone here show cats? I have a show quality selkirk rex kitten that I am going to be showing soon and was wanting to see if any one has any advice for a first timer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 12:36 PM

Show advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissaimee
Does anyone here show cats? I have a show quality selkirk rex kitten that I am going to be showing soon and was wanting to see if any one has any advice for a first timer?
hello!
are you registered with TICA or CFA? Each show is different, and has different standards. Here's what I would suggest:
  1. Get your kitty ready to be around ALOT of people. Some cats do not like large groups of people, others do. That is why you need to have as many visitors in your home hold the kitty as possible. This should start from birth, if possible, and will make your kitty less anxious around new people.
  2. Introduce your kitty to new environments. This goes hand in hand with the socializing through visitors. If your kitty is not the type to handle new environments, start introducing some now. This could be as simple as taking the kitty into an enclosed back yard (be very careful not to let the kitty get away) and will make it so that your kitty isn't neurotic when at the show.
  3. Dress Nice
  4. Have your kitty groomed by someone who has groomed a show cat before. Grooming is very important, and not all groomers understand specific breeds. You need to have a groomer that understands your breed as well as the show standards for your breed. Grooming should never be done only for the shows, and should be done on a regular basis because a kitty who was only groomed for a show can be easily spotted. Good nutrition also plays a role in this.
  5. Do not let the show visitors or other guests touch your kitty. This is a very easy way to spread germs (I've had friends who's kitties got ringworm this way) and also can mess up the professional groom. You may feel a little bad about this when the kids leave crying because they can't pet the kitty, but be strong. You can always have a little stuffed animal with you for the kids to handle. Just put it in a plastic bag before leaving and wash the heck out of it when you get home.
  6. Bring a potty box, food and water. Try to keep the kitty out of the litter box, but if nature calls you can't argue.
  7. Some kitties like to hide in the potty box at shows, so i would suggest one of those collapsible "pet caves" that are shaped like pyramids. Your kitty needs to be able to retreat when the action is too much to handle. Petsmart sells them for a reasonable price (less than $20) and they are very easily portable.
  8. Have Fun and go for the gold!
Good luck to you! Maybe I'll see you at the shows sometime?
Amber
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

He is registered CFA. But he is elgible for TICA also. I plan on introducing him to other people as soon as possible. I havent got him yet. He is a blue bi color long hair. We are going to our fist show hopefully next month. He will be four months old. I was thinking about getting one of the collapsable show cages from sturdipets. The breeder says he has a great personality and loves people!! I can't wait to exhibit him. Thank you for all your advice!! Oh, exotics were one of my other favorites!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 01:23 PM

Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissaimee
He is registered CFA. But he is elgible for TICA also. I plan on introducing him to other people as soon as possible. I havent got him yet. He is a blue bi color long hair. We are going to our fist show hopefully next month. He will be four months old. I was thinking about getting one of the collapsable show cages from sturdipets. The breeder says he has a great personality and loves people!! I can't wait to exhibit him. Thank you for all your advice!! Oh, exotics were one of my other favorites!!
A longhair? Wow! You've got your work cut out for you! I chose the Exotic because I knew I couldn't keep up with the grooming on a longhair. Make sure you brush him daily (if you miss a day you could get mats) and get him professionally groomed even when you aren't showing. It will improve your show results and make him a happy kitty. That's great that the breeder says he's wonderful, but just see how he does with you before you start scheduling shows. You have to remember that the breeder is all the kitten has known and that's why he is social around her. He may not be as friendly to you at first and a month later might not be ready for a show. There are plenty of shows available year round, so there's no rush. I just received the new TICA list and there are so many in my area! Since you're with CFA, go to this website and talk to my friend. She's a judge in the CFA shows and could probably give you the BEST advice when deciding when to show the kitten. I'm just weary of you showing him a month after placement because the adjustment from the breeder
to you is hard enough. the show could be too much too soon and could stress him out. Ask my friend, though. Her name is Anne and she's a great person to talk to!
www.ritzocats.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 01:27 PM

oh yeah! i almost forgot! 4 months old is a wonderful age to get a kitty at;especially if you plan to show. at four months old he should be very secure and well nourished (if you get them before they are fully weaned you can have a life time of problems). he's young enough to be socialized for shows so just keep introducing him to new things. i'm sure he will be the kitty of your dreams and bring you many WONDERFUL memories.

amber

ps-ask your breeder if she shows and what her methods are. breeders, if willing, make excellent mentors because most have breed specific knowledge and that is what you need more than anything!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

:)

Thank you so much for your advice. Yeah, I am not scheduling anything yet, I am going to see how he adjusts once I get him. And longhair, I know. I was looking for a short haired selkirk, but one look and I fell in LOVE!! :blob3: Luckily though, there coat does not mat like a persian would. And yes, I wanted to wait until he was four months old so he woudl be a little more secure, but it is so hard waiting. I have had him picked out since he was five weeks old. And he has turned out to be BEAUTIFUL!! And yes, his breeder shows, she is mentoring me also. I am just looking for other people's advice too. And I have another great selkirk breeder that gives me good advice!! Thanks again!!

Tags
litter box, stuffed animal