Cat sick - medical mystery - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Cat sick - medical mystery

My 2 year old tortoiseshell just recently became really sick and we have no explanation why. We took her to the emergency vet for blood tests, IV fluid, antibiotics, and she's still not improving. I'm hoping someone here could help. Here are her symptoms:

Foaming/drooling at the mouth; dragging her hind legs as she walks; high fever that fluctuates between 103-105; high red blood cell count; dazed/confused; and most unexplained of all she does this weird "clapping" thing with her mouth and tongue every so often. Sort of like when a cat is licking food, but there is no food. She had her rabies shot so that's not it. She's a 24/7 house cat and we used nothing toxic recently.

Vet doesn't know what could cause all these symptoms, but have narrowed it down to cancer, viral infection, or kidney problems. At this point we ruled out having a bacterial infection, toxins or dehydration, because she was on IV and antibiotics for 12 hours. That would have pumped her stomach by now. We already spend $1500 on the vet and can't afford anymore tests (MRI, ultrasound, etc) because each test is apparently $1000+ cost of overnight stay. And it's really just a guessing game to see what's wrong with her.

Has anyone come across a cat with similar symptoms? Anyone know of low cost Vet services in NYC. At this point if she doesn't get better, we have no choice but to surrender our poor Pepper Cat or put her down. Please help! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Aw poor Pepper, and poor you! I'm so sorry.

I'm not sure what's wrong with your cat but I do know of a few local low cost programs that might be able to help?

The NYC Animal Care & Control runs a low cost program that might be able to help you out?
http://www.nycacc.org/Low_Cost_Veterinary_Flyer.htm

If they can't personally help, ask them (Or call any other local shelter and ask) if they know of any other local programs. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Herp Nerd

I'm no vet, but the only symptoms I've encountered in a cat that come close are heart problems, enough to cause blood clots in the pelvis and leg region. That could explain the red cell count and the rear leg paralysis, but it doesn't really explain the fever. It could also explain the drooling. It is pretty uncommon but it could be caused by a stroke, but the drooling/licking could be also be simply nervousness and panic at the other things going wrong with her body. I would think that any heart problem would have been detected immediately though, usually the first thing any vet does is listen to the heart, and I would think a murmur should have been detected.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope you get it figured out.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sorry for your cats situation. But did you tried other vet's advice?

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the advice. We transferred her to our regular vet since it's less costly. Regular vet is still examining her but she's very concerned with her high fever. Pepper is getting a little better because her reflexes are improving and got some appetite back. I'm hoping its just a viral infection that passes.

It's just weird that this came so sudden. She was fine in the morning and then when we came home she just seemed so sick. Not sure how this could have happened.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Just to let everyone know, we surrendered our Pepper cat to the rescue where we adopted her from. It was getting too costly ($2000+) and the rescue could help her more than we can. Pepper actually came home for a week and then started getting sick again. After numerous seizures, we couldn't bear it any more. She's very sick and the rescue is worried for our cat's health as well. I can only wish pepper the best now and hope she recovers somehow. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

Tags
medical mystery, sick car