Cat smell - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Cat smell

Hi, I don't have a cat, so I thought I would ask people with cats my question.
We recently had to evacuate for hurricane Rita, and I loaned my delivery truck to some friends to evacuate in because their car is very unreliable. Well, sometime during the trip, their cat either sprayed or peed in the cab of the truck. (I'm not sure if there is a difference in peeing and spraying) At any rate, they didn't even try to clean it up while it was still wet, and now the smell is just unbearable! I'm not sure how to get it out.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 12:20 AM

Thanks for your good-will, and doesnt' it just frost ya when your good deed is "not returned." anyway, on the cat's behalf, it was probably scared witless, and if there wasn't a way for there to be a cat box, it could very well have just peed. Spraying is marking territory and done as a warning "this is mine! Stay out" usually by unneutered male cats. Just fyi.

Now to the problem. There are a number of things to use, but without knowing where it is--well, not all solutions work for the same problem.

Steam cleaning will take the smell out. Some people swear by Zero Odor especially for use on fabric-but it's expensive and can only be gotten on the 'net. Just put Zero Odor in your browser. If it's on plastic, you can use 1/2 alcohol and 1/2 water and wipe it clean. There are multiple other items that can be used to deodorize that you can purchase and all make claims. One that is very good is an enzymatic cleaner that you can find in PetsMart, etc...called Nature's Miracle. It will take few days to take the smell out, but can be used (I think!) on all types of fabrics, etc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

yes, I'm pretty frosty about the whole thing. But at any rate, thank you very much for your reply. I'll give the zero odor a try since we don't have a petsmart anywhere around here. And I'll clean all of the plastic w/ alcohol & water. Even if it takes days for the smell to be gone, that's fine as long as it goes! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

And until the smell is TRULY gone, I find the Oust air freshener to work wonders on giving one temporary reprieve from stinky smells.

Febreeze works pretty well, too.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
And until the smell is TRULY gone, I find the Oust air freshener to work wonders on giving one temporary reprieve from stinky smells.
Thanks I'll try Oust (Frabreeze didn't work for me), hopefully that will kill the oder while I try to get rid of the stain. My cat has decided to start peeing behind the dining room table. I'm pretty sure it's because my new puppy tries to herd it around and it's safe place when being herded is the dining room chairs. So I'm getting a litter box to put in the dining room and cleaning the spot daily to get all the urine out of the carpet.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Try Natures Miracle!
It's 100% Guaranteed, so "if" it dosn't work you can take it back. I've never taken back a bottle yet, it works so awsome!

Natures Miracle distroys the oder, not covering it up, it's non toxic and removes the stains as well. If you were to use it somewhere a pet kept useing as a toilet, b/c they can smell there own scent, it even get's rid of that smell (that we can't smell but animals can) so that they don't go on that same spot again.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

My cat was different, he wasn't marking he was trying to avoid the dog. I've been using Natures Miracle every day to clean the spot but since he was peeing more than I could clean in a day he had me beat. Ended up cleaning the spot with NM and then shampooing the carpet with a carpet cleaning and pet oder removing shampoo. House smells great again and now that I have a litter box over the spot hopefully I'm done with a stinky house.

Of course my fear now is that he will start peeing in the dogs crate, but hopefully the dog will herd him away from it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

A 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water also works well...granted it works better when the pee is still fresh but it does get rid of the smell on dry cat pee too. I have a cat that used to pee all over the house when he was a kitten and sometimes we'd have to find where by smell. Water and vinegar always did the trick...a steam cleaner works great too!

If possible leave your van out to air as much as possible too...I know it's hard but if it can be somewhere safe with the windows down it will help. Cat pee stinks! I can't believe they didn't even try and clean it!

And as for febreeze...I used to use that but one time it seemed to react with the pee smell and omg my house reeked!!!! It was gross!!! These days I just use an anitbacterial spray (you know the ones in the can that you can spray on furniture/carpet etc.)...I have to do it a couple of times sometimes but it works!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
litter box, male cat, neutered male