Cat turned nasty after neutering.. snowshow siamese... Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Cat turned nasty after neutering.. snowshow siamese... Help!

Hi! I have a two year old Snowshoe Siamese named Koko. We got him maybe 2 months ago. He is very playful, very friendly, and very talkative. Probably about a month and a week ago, we had him neutered. He was fine at first, purring and happy. He loves to come lay on the couch with me and my fiance, and he loves nothing but attention!

Now about two weeks after he got fixed, he developed an eye/upper respiratory infection. We took him to the vet, got it done, and about a week after we ran out of meds he started getting sick again. Which leads to today.

An odd behavior change that I have noticed is that he has started to get a little mean. I don't know if mean is the right word for it, because I think he is being playful in what he is doing, but I am not sure.

He "stalks" me and my fiance constantly, and jumps out at us from behind things, Which is fine, often comical. But he has been taking it another step, as of lately he will jump on us and dig his claws in and scratch us. I can be sitting on the couch and he will simply walk up and scrach my feet for no reason! As i was typing this, he came over to the computer chair and jumped up on it and tried to climb my back with his claws, hurts alot! Last night my toe was bleeding because he scratched me very badly. He is playful like a kitten, but he is 2.. I don't know if he thinks he is just playing, but the behavior is worsening. He has all sorts of toys, he loves catnip, he has a car playhouse I got him (yeah hes just a tad spoiled)... I'm concerned he is doin this for attention and it is becoming a major issue! If you have any advice, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Are you sure he's not in pain?
If he keeps getting sick there might be some underlying problem and this might be why he is changing personality...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree about the pain. Maybe it is to bring attention to his pain. If this issue is ruled out, I would also maybe try taking the catnip away and seeing if his behavior changes at all. Some cats (mine too!) go a little too crazy when under the influence. We have a toy with catnip that we only give her very rarely, and then only for about 10 minutes.

Also, and remember these suggestions are only AFTER you have ruled out the pain factor. I would put money on the fact that he is hurting, do not give him any attention when he does these things. Spray bottles of water are your friends. *I'm not sure if I will get any gruff for this , but* what I do when my cat attacks me is I push her away hard with my foot or hand, whatever she is attacking. I don't do it as a smack, but more as a very forceful push. Be sure to yell, "ow! or no!' when this behavior is going on.

Also, make sure she knows that your body parts are not playthings. My friend used to hand wrestle with her kitten all the time, and the bites and scratches weren't bad. But now her cat is full grown, and still thinks a laying hand is something to attack. Its not funny anymore, and it hurts. So make sure to not play 'wrestle' or anything with your hands or feet. Don't let play scratching or biting happen at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The pain is a good idea. We don't play wrestle with our hands and feet, because we have both had cats and past and have learned this is not a good idea! lol... its just strange he also seems to 'attack' me more than my fiance, no clue why! We both are also starting to think that he does it out of boredom. He loves attention, and we both work full time so we are gone during the day. I don't know quite how to get him to stop. He doesn't always use his claws, sometimes he will bat our feet and never once use them other times he digs in so I know he knows that it hurts us!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If he's not in pain, and just wants to play like a cat, get him a friend to play with, ^^ That just may solve it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I just took him to the vet today... i got eye cream with steriods in it and he is also being tested for leukemia virus.. which after two tests it kept coming up with really weird results that the vet could on understand.. so I am going to keep being patient with him and just understand that there may be a reason behind his behavior. Unfortunately if he does have this virus, I probably should not get another cat for him to play with. I am still learning about this and hoping for the best.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow, I hope its not leukemia. Best wishes for good results!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks. He just got 2 blood tests which came up a very faint positive for leukemia virus AND heart worm, which is extremely rare in cats. The vet said they were both bogus readings.. she doesn't understand what that was all about. So I guess 2 weeks from now he has to have a lab test! sigh...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you could get a treat ball, there are balls normally for dogs but work just fine for cats as well that you fill with food or treats or a mix of both and they have to work to get them out, it may cure some of his boredom as well.

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM

hope you found the correct answer

I see it was a couple of years back when this was posted. Hope you found the right answer. If not, here it is. Yes pain can cause some of these things but that would be the last thing I would check at this point.

The answer your looking for is this. The cat wants ATTENTION. My cat does the same thing. Ive seen other cats do this too. If you Watch the show My Cats From **** you will sit it a lot there too. The best thing to do is play with your cat. Yes another cat could help, but the cat wants your attention too. Take time to play with your cat, not with your hands, but with cat toys like the feather on a string and stick toy, lazer light, ect. Spend at least 10 minutes at a time playing, especially just before bed time so you can all sleep through the night.

Hope this helps someone.

Tags
attacking, scratching, snowshow siamese