Cat Urinating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Cat Urinating

My cat very randomly sprays/pees outside of her litter box. She seems to prefer down comforters for such acts. She sprayed a small down throw either tonight or yesterday that I just recently discovered and no more than 20 minutes ago peed on my gf and I's bed. I know that cats prefer certain textures, however why she decided to do it twice in a 2 day time frame is beyond me considering she hasn't done it for well over 3-4 months now.

We are giving her an oral antibiotic which may be causing stress because she doesn't like her mouth forced open.....other than that I can't put a finger on why she is doing it??? any idea or possible suggestions. In addition what is the best way to clean up the mess??

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

What is the medication for, does she have any history of Urinary tract infections? And what are you feeding her?

Some cats pee because they are sick (UTI), others are pissed off and want you to know LOL... gotta love cats

Check her urine for blood, a strange oder or anything out of the ordinary. If theres something different take her to the vet.
Wash all the areas throughly, Natures Miracle works excellant to taking out pet urine oders & stains, getting rid of the smell the pet can recognize which makes them go in the same spot.

Is your girlfriend new? has anything changed in teh hosuehold?
The are other reasons cats urinate in areas of the hosue other then their litter box.

Try not to get upset with her untill you know what's wrong, and that it's not a medical condition.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

The medication is for an open wound that was on her rear leg. The area is now stiched and the antibiotic is a liquid, therefore it must be given orally. She will be going back to the vet at the end of the week to have the stiches removed. I'll mention the situation to the vet then. I highly doubt it is a medical condition. THe urine smells like urine and there is zero sign of discoloration etc. I am hoping that she is just "pissed" off and this is her way of telling us.

In regards to the GF she has been my gf for 3 years now. SHe and I adopted Abra together.....Im just going to ride it out until we go to the vet, and pick up some natures miracle to eliminate the smell. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi there, sorry to hear about your kitty! I would definately talk to the vet about it. Is she spayed? It could be behavioral, but it would be best to rule out a UTI, too. I know this well, and how strong smelling cat urine is! lol! My cat Snuggles has behavorial issues and he has peed on the carpet and it can be hard to get out. Nature's miracle is good like Andrea said, and also we use Simple Solution, you can get that at the pet store too. We put it in a carpet cleaner and it comes in a spray bottle. Also you can try a vinegar and water mixture. It could be she is stressed about the meds since this is out of the ordinary for her. Have you changed or moved the litter box, or changed litters? I know that getting a covered box started Snuggles' problem because he just plain didn't like it!
I hope you find out what's causing it and she is feeling better soon!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch98
The medication is for an open wound that was on her rear leg. The area is now stiched and the antibiotic is a liquid, therefore it must be given orally. She will be going back to the vet at the end of the week to have the stiches removed. I'll mention the situation to the vet then. I highly doubt it is a medical condition. THe urine smells like urine and there is zero sign of discoloration etc. I am hoping that she is just "pissed" off and this is her way of telling us.

In regards to the GF she has been my gf for 3 years now. SHe and I adopted Abra together.....Im just going to ride it out until we go to the vet, and pick up some natures miracle to eliminate the smell. Thanks for the reply.
Ya if that is the only change (the new ouchy) and she's otherwise healthy, it sounds like she's just upset about it all. I'm sure once the meds are over with and her leg is healed she'll be back to her old self.

My Mom's b/f's cat used to pee on my mom's side of the bed when they first started dating, it was the cats way of saying, this is MY house and MY man not yours new lady! LOL.... so that's why I asked.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies......

I'll mention it to the vet at the end of the week. The wound came from the removal of a matt....I guess I got a little too close and the after effect was less than pleasant. I imagine she's a little traumatized....her first "traumatic vet visit" she was sedated and the oral medication sure isn't helping her mood. We have been giving her wet food after each oral application...which she loves because she has dry food the rest of the time.

She really is a well behaved cat. Indoor only and well loved...hopefully it passes and doesn't remain an issue.

Thanks again
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

wet food

Have you tried putting the liquid meds in the wet cat food? My kitten is being treated for ringworm and a respiratory infection (just finished that tonight) and she is on liquid amoxicillion. The first couple of days she fought me and spit most of it out so I tried putting it in the food and she licks it right up. It's less stressful on her already stressed out body and it's definitely less stressful for me. I know some animals are smart and won't eat food if they know it has meds in it, but i'm lucky that my cat is either too stupid or doesn't care (I think she just doesn't care cuz she's pretty smart). Good luck
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 08:19 AM

This definately sounds like a UTI. I would definately take this cat to the vet and have her tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch98
My cat very randomly sprays/pees outside of her litter box. She seems to prefer down comforters for such acts. She sprayed a small down throw either tonight or yesterday that I just recently discovered and no more than 20 minutes ago peed on my gf and I's bed. I know that cats prefer certain textures, however why she decided to do it twice in a 2 day time frame is beyond me considering she hasn't done it for well over 3-4 months now.

We are giving her an oral antibiotic which may be causing stress because she doesn't like her mouth forced open.....other than that I can't put a finger on why she is doing it??? any idea or possible suggestions. In addition what is the best way to clean up the mess??

Thanks in advance
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Adolescent Pup

actually, kitties with UTIs pee in cold places like sinks, tile and bathtubs. they would not necessarily choose a comforter because it is warm and they are seeking to cool their sensative areas when they start peeing everywhere. with a UTI you would see bloody urine, also, so if you are not seeing that i would rule out UTI. my breeding girls mark comforters and carpet when they are in season and until they are retired and altered they continue. sounds more like girly piddling to me. girls can be notorious for that when not altered.

for clean up wash the comforter in tide and use a good rinse cycle. repeat twice if necessary. girls will not usually leave a pungent odor behind as they are not spraying, they are just peeing. for stains try "Soilove" which when applied and left overnight will remove ANYTHING. i swear by it.....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBreedExotic
actually, kitties with UTIs pee in cold places like sinks, tile and bathtubs. they would not necessarily choose a comforter because it is warm and they are seeking to cool their sensative areas when they start peeing everywhere. with a UTI you would see bloody urine, also, so if you are not seeing that i would rule out UTI. my breeding girls mark comforters and carpet when they are in season and until they are retired and altered they continue. sounds more like girly piddling to me. girls can be notorious for that when not altered.

for clean up wash the comforter in tide and use a good rinse cycle. repeat twice if necessary. girls will not usually leave a pungent odor behind as they are not spraying, they are just peeing. for stains try "Soilove" which when applied and left overnight will remove ANYTHING. i swear by it.....
I have to wonder how you came up with this conclusion as it being fact? One of my cats came down with a UTI once and I discovered he had it because he urinated on my bed sheets. He also scratched around in the litterbox and yowled doing so. I brought him to the vet for testing and sure enough he had a UTI. Blood in the urine is an indicator but the warning signs are often urinating in spots outside the litterbox which can be anywhere.

A UTI is very serious and if not caught in time the cat could get plugged up which can result in a costly surgery or a fatality. I don't recommend taking the warning signs lightly.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by catprotector
I have to wonder how you came up with this conclusion as it being fact?
vet school and ten years of breeding some of the top cats in the nation........
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:51 AM
Miss New Booty

Just a friendly reminder to please keep this thread civil.

Snatch, how is your kitty doing? Any updates? I hope she has healed up from her leg wound.

It could be behavioral but also sounded possible it could be a UTI. Sometimes you just don't know for sure. My cat has a behavioral issue, at first I thought it was a UTI, then we discovered he was upset with a new covered litter box we got. I think it's just better to be safe than sorry and get your vets advice and checked out for a possibility if a cat is urinating where they shouldn't be and you are unsure why.

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBreedExotic
vet school and ten years of breeding some of the top cats in the nation........
I still think it sounds like a UTI. I am going to keep this civil because I don't like flame wars but from personal experience, a cat urinating in places other than the litterbox is usually a warning sign. When my cat Icarus was doing this I did some research on UTI. I took him into the vet for testing and sure enough he had one. The vet even showed me the sample under the microscope and there was definately crystals forming.

My advice when a cat is urinating on the bed or any other unusual area, scratching around in the litterbox and crying, and yes even seeing blood in the urine, take them to the vet and have them checked out.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygurl823
Just a friendly reminder to please keep this thread civil.
thanks kittygurl. i was thinking the same thing.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

One element that may not have been looked at is a cat does not tolerate pain,if it is painful to get into the box he may decide to go elsewhere.
Being a groomer for 25+year may I suggest you have a pro.remove the matts in the future. or the kitty may not like you next time.

Tags
cat food, covered litter box, dry food, litter box, pet store, respiratory infection, urinary tract infection, vet visit, wet cat food, wet food