cat urine and spray smell - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Question cat urine and spray smell

Anybody have any suggestion on how to get musky smell out of house? I have a female cat in heat and the entire house sticks. I know that she has peed in at least one spot and I have done everything I can think of to that spot--but now the entire house sticks. Any quick and easy suggestion? I am a full time student and do not work, so I can not afford to take her to a vet right now. I don't want to give her up because of the kids--but I might have to if I can't get rid of this smell--it is so strong it is making me sick.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hi I'm sorry you are in this position. Why is your cat in tact and not spayed?
There are low or no-cost spay neuter programs (often based on ability to pay) in many cities. The first thing I would do is find a way to get her spayed.
Once she is altered, the spraying and marking behaviors will decrease dramatically. As far as the smell that is already permeated into your furniture, carpet, walls - or wherever she's been peeing, there are very effective enzyme based products that eliminate the odor. It may take some time to totally eliminate all the smell because you will have to find every spot she has urinated on. You can also get a small black-light and in the dark, urine will glow and be easily visible. This is a great way to treat areas that are producing odor but you didn't even know were there.

I'm sorry I don't have any quick or easy suggestions. This is going to be a multi-step process. I understand the smell is very unpleasant and you'd like it gone yesterday!

Honestly- I'd start with having the cat spayed and soaking her favorite indoor marking or pee areas with Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. Some people have had a lot of success using white vinegar to soak the soiled areas with. Baking soda is another option, and will help to absorb any moisture left behind. Using a combination of these methods will certainly help. Keeping her litterbox extra clean - scooped and adding fresh litter as often as you can will help too. What kind of litter do you use? Regular clay or clumping? (just curious)
Monumental and the most important however - get your cat spayed!

Good Luck

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thinks for the suggestions on the cleaning products--I am in the process of trying the baking soda right now. As for the spaying--the only thing I have found is the vets that are charging between $92-$98--which I definetly don't have. As I stated I am not employed--I am a full time student. I am not sure how to go about finding a low or no cost neuter spay program. I live in a very small town of about 1500 people. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Miss New Booty

Hrrmmm, Deja gave some great suggestions. I have a similar problem with cat urine in my house, except it's my neutered male, who just decided he didn't like the covered box. I know, the smell is unbearable. I don't know if her being unspayed makes it worse, but it's pretty strong here. I would definaltey spay her soon. Here is the thread I started on it, had another link in there (to part 1 of the situation) as well. http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16171
Alot of people gave me great advice!! I am about to get this spray that Dena told me about in this thread, you can get it at PetSupermarket. It is supossed to even get skunk spray smells out, this stuff sounds awesome. She put the link in the post, but here it is again! http://sea-yu.com There is also a cat attract litter I am gonna try, too. Good luck and I hope you can get the smells out, b/c I know how it can be!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:56 PM

Yup, definitely check out that thread that kittygurl posted.
(Jackie - Maybe your title should be cat pee queen! Better not let Jade see that. Hehehe.)

And Deja is right, you need to get your kitty spayed. There are a lot of low-cost spay/neuter programs out there. Here's a couple of helpful sites:
http://spayusa.org/
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/spaying/htline.htm
I know here in the metro Wash DC area there is a program for a $30 neuter/spay.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all of your wonderful replies. I checked into the spayusa site and am going to try to come up with the money to have it done--hope that it will help! Going to check into the other sites with the spray that Dena is talking about tomorrow. Thanks a million guys--the kids will be so very grateful to be able to keep their cats. I actually have 2 but only one is causing the problem right now. But will also check into getting the other one spayed at the same time. Thanks a bunch.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Miss New Booty

Ohhh NO! Don't even go there, Kris!!!! LOL!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:28 PM

Female cats do not spray like males do. If she is in heat she may roll around howl a lot but I have yet to see an unspayed female spray. If she is urinating around the house she may have a bladder or urinary tract problem and will need to go to the vets or it could be litter box isn't clean enough to her liking, she doesn't like the litter, etc. Sometimes when there is an odor like that (and its not an un neutered male) it could be a sign of kidney disease.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your replys--I think I have located the problem--but really not sure how to fix it. I ended up pulling all of the carpet up in the living room (which it needed it anyway), but that wasn't the problem, however some of the smell disappeared. My fiance had to end up going under the house to fix a slight water leak and the smell was extremely bad smelling under there. Well to put a long story short, this morning I noticed a large tom cat coming out from under the house. He had gotten under there since the crawl space cover wasn't on yet. Anyway, I am pretty sure that the smell is male cat spray and it is very strong under the house and is coming up into the house. Is there anyway to get the smell out from under the house or will it eventually go away on its own??? The crawl space is now covered and there is no way they can get back under there again. Thanks for the help.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dena - I agree! Female cats aren't known to spray - I believed this too, until I saw my sisters cats! I was in shock - her female cats are spayed and they both (she also has 3 or 4 males so it's a cat house for real ) spray and mark! They squat and aim and spray up her wall near the front door to her apartment. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it (and smelled it) !! I think hers do the dominance marking thing- there is a lot of competition in her house between all her cats.

I agree about the UTI possibility too, that hadn't occured to me.

Bratgirl - ugh - that male cat scent is just so pungent and terrible isn't it? I'm glad you figured out where it was coming from. I'm not sure how you would go about getting the smell out from the crawlspace. That is a tough one. I'm sure someone here has some good suggestions though!

[center]

[
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 09:30 PM

And to think you blamed your poor female kitty for the stink. Now you gotta kiss her and say vewy sowwy kitty.

I don't know how you can get the smell out, other than sprinkling some of those solutions people have mentioned above. You can also try putting out some baking soda to help absorb the odor. Good luck!

Tags
litter box, male cat, neuter program, neutered male