Cat Wandering Around - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Cat Wandering Around

Lately for the past probably month or more we have been having this cat which is very fluffy(could be a persian, siamese or could be himalayan) but its been coming into our backyard probably because we are feeding birds. We have been feeding the cat too as we aren't 100 percent sure if it does have a home or not(it doesn't have a collar or tags) but it goes to different area's of our condo. It comes close to my husband when he is outside but it has never let him touch him or her and it runs away. It's pretty worrying as we have seen 5 coyotes on the golf course where we live and they have already eaten one neighbours cat. I am not sure what to do about the cat as its a gorgeous cat and i wouldn't want it to get eaten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

since you cant handle the cat since it wont let you touch it, maybe you could take a picture of him or her and ask around the neighbourhood if it belongs to someone by showing the photo ? just an idea

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

That's a good idea. When it comes back during the daylight i will get a picture of it and post it around. It just bugs me that someone(if it belongs to someone) that they would let it wander around in an area where there are very large coyotes and have already eaten a cat. It's just like a dog we found in someones yard which the dog didn't even belong too and it was shivering and had icles on the sides of its mouth where it was salvating and it was de-barked too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

We have that issue here too. For a while, there were a bunch of cats in my neighborhood. A mix of strays and outside cats. Then coyotes moved in.... I dislike outside cats but I still hate the thought of them being eaten!

If the cat learns to trust you more you could put a collar on it with your phone number written. The idea is that the "owner" (if there is one) might call you. You could even write something like "is this your cat? please call xxx-xxxx".

Asking around seems like the best idea for now. I would say call animal control but there's a good chance they'd just put the cat to sleep .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

This cat is our third since we have moved in here(there was a pure black and then a tortie colored cat that were around too but i haven't seen them for awhile-I saw the black cat on halloween last year but nothing since then) we always have the same 4 patrolling around our area(last year there was a coyote pup across from where we live) hopefully soon it will learn to trust atleast my husband. I wouldn't want to risk calling animal control though i may ask the humane society what can be done when i volunteer there tomorrow.

This is kind of what the cat looks like. But i'm still going to get some actual pictures of the cat.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 AM
laugh often

Maybe you can provide a hide away spot for the cat until someone claims her or he/she becomes trusting enough to let you handle them? If you put the food near a box or small kennel t'll feel safeer about hiding out during the night?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah we have a kennel that we could try and do something or try and find someone that lends out those live traps for cats or something. We have a second grey and white cat that has been wandering around our area yesterday and it was very cold last night so hopefully that cat is alright. I was thinking since we don't have a mesh over our window i was thinking of keeping the window open with some food on the ledge and closing the door and maybe that would work too.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM
laugh often

Lets us know how it goes. I wish you luck

1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

We finally got pictures of the cat and it's gorgeous. It has no collar or tags and its pretty matted around it's neck. It hates even having to look at the dogs and gets nervous so probably after our anniversary weekend we will take it into the vet to see if it has a micro-chip. If not we will probably just keep her in our spareroom for now so atleast the cat stays warm until we can find the owner(if it has one) and tell them to keep their cat in the house.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 PM
laugh often

wow. that is a very pretty cat. I hope everything goes well for you and the kitty

1 Cat- Luna
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
It's all for them

Prayers for that gorgeous kitty.

I fear s/he's been dumped, but maybe just lost, it happens and someone may be desperately looking for him/her. Check your newspaper and call your shelter and the local vet clinics to find out if there are any lost cat ads fitting this kitty's description.

And bless you for caring and being willing to help her/him.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Now that you have pictures of the cat I would post some around the neighborhood and maybe online and see if you can find the owners. Maybe the owners could have better luck catching the cat if it's skittish.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Now that you have pictures of the cat I would post some around the neighborhood and maybe online and see if you can find the owners. Maybe the owners could have better luck catching the cat if it's skittish.

Good idea.

One tip...I wouldn't post the picture, and leave some identifying tip out of the description to weed out the weirdos and creeps who will think they've found an easy cat for their sick games and laboratory experiments.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I am kinda sad we haven't seen the cat in awhile and there have been more sightings of coyotes. I really hope it hasn't been eaten.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I suggest posting you found a cat and give generic description, but if it does have an owner they will be able to tell you more details. That's what I did when I found a dog, and the owners knew every trait it had.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Tags
cat, pretty