The cat who ate saltines - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Irregular and Proud!

The cat who ate saltines

Hey all. I'm a chin owner who also has a cat Daphne. She continues to amaze me. I thought I'd seen the extent of her weird behavior when she started to scratch her scratching post when I flushed the toilet.

Now I have a new odd behavior. Daphne dislikes treats. I've tried Pounce and all that. She is not interested. We give her soft food every two weeks when we redo her soft paws, but that's the extent of anything special.

I was sitting on the couch on Saturday night having crackers and Daphne came up next to me. She put her head next to mine and sniffed at a lone cracker that I was eating. I held it out to her figuring she would lick it or sniff if. Instead, she chomped on it and ate about half of it. She really seemed to like it.

Since saltines are low in sugar, I would assume one from time to time won't hurt. I just don't know why she likes something so plain.

I'm thinking maybe she liked the texture. She likes to chew her brush too. Maybe she needs a dental cleaning.

Anyone have any ideas. I personally think she is doing a physchology experiment on me.

Thanks all.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Perhaps it is the salt?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

My parents also have a strange cat.

Stacie is a five month old kitten who has to have whatever you're eating. She actually whines for what you have. She acts more like a puppy than a kitten!

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Irregular and Proud!

It could be the salt, but she didn't just lick it off. As for begging, Daphne isn't interested in too much. But sometimes I do feel like she is a dog, like when she drinks out of the toilet.

Good ideas.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

This isn't surprising to me... my cat has also eaten crackers before. She has also stolen potato chips, bread (even unbuttered), french fries... and other things that I am trying to remember.

Once in a while won't do her much harm if its just a saltine cracker. and you can show your non-cat owning friends this 'funny trick'...

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Every cat has their wierd quarks, none of ours will eat pounce treats or regular cat snacks either however miss bubbles and miss pickles sure do like the puppies food they tend to get their soft food at least 3x a week that is their special treat.......

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Cats will eat weird stuff...my cat, Milo, has eaten lettuce, a small piece of onion I dropped, tomato, licked up grape juice, cucumber, and lots of other stuff I can't remember. My other cat is addicted to licking plastic bags. She doesn't eat them, she just licks, especially wal-mart bags.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

My cat, used to get me into trouble when I was younger, because she would go and s ample the cookies by taking one bite out of each lol
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

*gasps* so my aunt's cat isn't crazy?! Other cats are addicted to plastic bags too? Hehe, walmart seems to be a favorite of hers too. And then a cat we catsit frequently nibbles on the corners of paper... I hear when she gets really 'comfy' in a house she'll rip it to shreds. o.O

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Angel is a paper shredder too, especially if she wants to be fed...cats are soooo insane.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Miss New Booty

Aww Patti! Sounds like Daphne just loves those saltines!!! My cats like weird things, too. Snuggles loves to steal french fries, crackers and noodles! LOL! One time, we put the McDonalds bag on the table and we both walked away for a min. Brad comes back, yelling for me, laughing. Snuggles had his whole head in the bag, looking for food!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemepets
She doesn't eat them, she just licks, especially wal-mart bags.
YES! Ginger does that too! And, she likes to lay on bags and paper, too! So does Smokie! Silly kitties!! She loves jumping in boxes, any new boxes in the house, she has to check out!

~* Jackie *~