Cat won't eat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Cat won't eat

I have a cat that I'm watching for someone for a week and I also have a cat of my own. The cats didn't exactly "hit it off" so I took my cat to my parents place for the time being. The cat that I'm watching hasn't eaten and drank water for about 32 hours now since I've had him with me. He has gone to the bathroom twice but thats it. Ive tried treats, tuna, canned food and none of its working. I'm going to try milk next. Any other advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I am allergic to maths

That is not good at all! You really need to get him to eat, milk is good but not too much, I dont know what to suggest but ill get back to you when I have some info, good luck!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I just tried the milk too. He sniffs it but walks away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I am allergic to maths

Do you leave it there or do you watch to see if he eats then throw it away? Some cats dont like to eat/drink infront of people so its best to just leave it there and hopefully he will go back for it later
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I've done both. I got some advice earlier to count how many pieces i put in his bowl and then come back later to see how many are there to see if he eats when I'm not looking.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Hello Earthling

First off no milk, at all. Contrary to popular belie milk will actually make cats sick.

Is there any discharge from its eyes or nose? Is it breathing with its mouth open?

These are all signs of a URI

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:35 PM
I am allergic to maths

I know milk makes cats sick but when my cat was ill and wouldnt eat the vet recomended it, she said he needs to eat and drink but dont give him alot and keep it diluted
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
I know milk makes cats sick but when my cat was ill and wouldnt eat the vet recomended it, she said he needs to eat and drink but dont give him alot and keep it diluted
I don't know your vet, but I have always been told that cats should not have any milk at all.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

there's no discharge and hes breathing with his mouth closed. He hasn't touched the milk anyway. He is overly stressed I think of the whole situation and him not being in his normal environment. I just cant get him to touch anything! He's a very scared cat!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I had a very nervous cat once, when we first got her she refused to eat or drink or anything really...so we put her in a dark room with her water bowl, food and liter box, it gave her a nice quiet spot and awhile later she was eating and drinking, have you tried in a dark room with little to no noise where its alone?

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Lock it in the bathroom or small bedroom with food, water, and a litter box, and leave it alone. It will probably eat once it comes out. Our cat hid under the couch for 2 days when we moved. It is just stressed, the smaller the room the quicker they come out to explore.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
can't think of one, help

Are you feeding him the same kind of food he gets at home? did they leave him anything that smells of his own home and owners? He is obviously very stressed at being left in a strange place. It will take time.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Good news, I left him in one room with all his things, away from me over night, and woke up this morning with his food gone! So he finally ate, and I saw him eat and drink a little more this morning! Hopefully he will continue in the right direction! Thanks for all of your help and advice everyone!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Actually that happens a lot. When a cats owners go away, cats get very depressed. Even though you can leave your cat home alone for a few days and they will be alright physically, they will not be alright mentally. Its wierd but cats really get attached to their owners even if they never are around you and you think they don't care they really do. Umm the cat should eat eventually when he/she gets hungry. I really don't know. Is there any foods that it really likes?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

The cat did finally start eating after about 3 days, and now he is good to go!

Tags
cat not eating