Cat Won't Squat in Da Box - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Question Cat Won't Squat in Da Box

Hi everyone,

Our 1-year old kitty, Chloe, hasn't quite figured out how to use the litterbox yet. She knows to do her business in there, but the problem is she doesn't squat. It's like she just backs herself into a corner and lets the urine fly. This makes quite a mess - we have a covered litterbox, but there's constantly sticky sprays of half-evaporated urine all over the inside of the box. ....And of course, the litter she does manage to hit clumps against the side of the box, making it difficult to scoop out.

She also seems to have a bit of a dribbling problem - we find tiny drops of urine around the box. This all makes for a very nice smelling room. She has regular visits to the vet, and she's never been diagnosed as anything but purrfect. She's been spayed. We did adopt her from the Humane Society when she was just a kitten, so maybe her Mama didn't teach her any litterbox etiquette (litterquette?).

We've been wanting to get one of those self-cleaning litterboxes, but I don't see how those would help if she doesn't actually squat enough to hit the litter. I don't know if making a bigger litterbox might help...? Or a round one with no corners!

Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions? Advice would be much appreciated!

TL5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 11:18 PM

I wouldn't get a LitterMaid or a rake type self cleaning one. It took more time to clean it than a regular one. Some cats unfortunately some cats are just little piggies. I would definitely stick to a covered litter box and I think either Booda or VanNess makes a circular litterbox with a cover so that might be an option for you.

Tags
covered litter box, humane society, litter box