Cat's being mean to the other cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Cat's being mean to the other cat

Ok, here goes. I have two kitties, one is an older black and white Norwegian forest cat, named Cricket. She's about 5-6 years old. Here is a picture of her. http://Kefka.gotdns.org:8080/picture...s/DSC00075.JPG
I also have a Maine Coon calico kitten named Luna, She's about 6 months. Here's her pic http://Kefka.gotdns.org:8080/picture...oking_Down.JPG
So here's the story. Luna is a very nice, friendly and loving cat. However, recently she decided to start attacking Cricket once in a while. Cricket gets mad and hisses, and takes off. Sometimes if Luna gets mad(like if I picked her up the wrong way, or wasn't paying attention to her, or not feeding her) she goes after Cricket, and attacks her. I really am wondering if there's ANY possible way to discourage this behavior. I did look at an article yesterday about a similar problem, and it suggested either letting the cats work it out, and if it keeps happening, then find a new home for the kitten. Well, I'd like some other opinions, and if possible some advice on what I can do. I'd really appreciate it, thanks
and one more thing, there is absolutely positively NO WAY I'm finding Luna a new home, she's my kitty, as Cricket is my mom's cat lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Luna is a kitten and wants to play and play rough, once your cat really nails her for it it will ease up. I don't know of a good way to discourage it other than really playing with our kitten until she is tired.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, I was hoping Cricket would nail Luna one of these days(and maybe she will) but nothing yet In fact Luna is sometimes mean to me, grabbing and biting me all the time lol. But I guess I'll wait until she gets older and settles down. I honestly didn't think there was much to do. As far as playing with her, she likes to bring me her yarn ball so I can throw it, and then she brings it back for me to throw again. Just like a dog lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Play with her and when she bites cry out or squeek in a loud voice so she knows what she is doing. And your cat will hit a breaking point and fight back. It was the same way with our cats, my mom had to rescue a new kitten and it attacked our older cat once he was healthy and would attack him all the time, Now our old cat will bite his feet and make him cry then walks away.

This play fighting that the kitten is doing isn't the same as attacking your cat out of aggression, its just kitten play and it is mean hehe, but is normal for that age, it is something that Momma cat normally takes care of.. and gets spent on other kittens that fight back. My guess is she is hyper and you can wear her little sassy butt out and she will give your other cat some peace

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm afraid thats what happens when you first get a cat. When I introduced my cat Oscar to my older cat Scout, who I have had all my life, Scout fought with him. They just need some time to get used to each other. If the fighting gets worse then I would definitely take action though.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am such an animal girl!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:09 PM

U should get your cat a toy or scratching post to disract it from attacking other cats because it seems to work with my boys

Tags
aggressive behavior, cat, maine coon