Cats in a Car - Need Advice! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Cats in a Car - Need Advice!

Hi everybody. In about a week I am going to be moving from Indiana to California, and of course my cat is coming with me. My boyfriend got a job out there, so did two of his co-workers and we'll all be sharing a moving truck. We are going to have four cats and one dog total making this move. It's also going to take 3-4 days on the road. Pixel HATES car rides so I can't imagine what it is going to be like for her. The longest she has been in a car is 1 1/2 hours and she often cries a lot, pants, sweats, sheds like crazy, and she digs at the metal gate on her carrier which seems to rip up her nails. I'm not sure what type of carrier would be best to keep her in for the trip, actually.

I found this thread was helpful, and I have also discussed this situation with my vet. The vet said car travel is definitely a better option than flying, and gave me some Dimenhydrinate pills to knock her out, but said she wouldn't recommend using them unless it's absolutely necessary.

Anybody have any advice? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

A lot of cats hate car rides. You might have to use the pills.

*Missy*
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I got my cat a Sherpa soft side cat carrier and she loves it. She barely makes any noise any more on car rides or paw at her carrier. She did how ever when I flew which was 3 hours and I didn't let her out at all. I'd suggest giving the cats breaks to get out and stretch. Especially if they are older.

My cat pants in the car and I tend to turn the air on her. Be sure the car is all ready running and cool before you put the cat in too so she doesn't over heat. Or open car windows and let the air circulate. The circulate air also seems calming. (this is from my experience at least, dont' know if it works for others.) And quite possibly, cover the cat with a towel and talk to her often. She may be better not seeing anything and hearing your voice for comfort. I know my cat prefers when I talk or sing to the radio...

But in the car I let the carrier door open too. If you have so many animals in one vehicle, this may not be a good idea but... maybe once she's in the car let her out and sit on your lap (if you aren't driving. I always keep a harness and leash on her for this and if the car door is going to open and someone gets out, into the carrier she goes again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 AM

They make a product called Feliway (I'm sure there are other brands, that's just what's popular in my area). Anyhow, it's a synthetic pheromone used to calm kitty. It mimics the pheromones kitty secretes from his/her face...that's why he/she's always rubbing against you. It makes kitty think of safe sound environment already marked up by his or her own scent. Ask your vet if they've heard of it and think it may help. It comes in a spray bottle, so you basically just spray the carrier 10-15 minutes before you put kitty in.

It helps my girls in the car. My holistic vet also recommends Bach flower extracts. These can be bough over the counter, but I'd still get a vet recommendation. I don't like giving my animals anything without vet approval.

Good Luck!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:34 AM
SwC

Feliway is a great product and should help as the above poster indicated. I love it!! I found it locally in a farm supply store here but it's about $28.00 for a small bottle. Bit pricey but well worth it. I use it anytime I take mine out into the pet taxi to the vets as she just completely locks down then you cant get her out of the carrier either when it's time.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:16 PM

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=108 Here's an article about traveling with your cat. there are links to calming an anxious cat and stuff too. They also sell stuff for calming animals through this sight. They have pills, spray, etc. Hope this helps. I helped my friend move her 2 cats from PA to VA and it was very stressful on her one cat, but the other one did calm down a lot. Also don't forget to take the litter box in the car with you and give them some time to relieve themselves every so often.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:18 PM

here's one about moving your cat. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...pt_id=&aid=185
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:38 PM
SwC

Also consider, my exhusband moved down to florida in Dec, in the process he has a male cat of 3 years. He placed a partition between the back and the driver area and just let "Winston" have his "room" to roam in the truck. With the barrier he couldnt get into the driver area but had the freedom to roam so to speak during the travel. He also used Feliway. Winston seemed to enjoy the ride as he had the freedom to view and also position himself where he pleased during the trip. Just a thought.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for all of the great advice, everybody!
The articles are really helpful.

This weekend I bought a new travel crate that has soft sides, a harness and leash, and large Pounce treats to put the pills in if she needs them.

We're only going to have one cat in our car, but there will be three people, and it's a MINI Cooper, so it's going to be cramped. We're planning a lot of breaks so that we can all stretch our legs.
I'm going to look into getting the Feliway - it seems like a cure-all
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I wish I could help I just wanted to say good luck. I have had a cat that loved car rides and a few that hate it so I don't know what to tell you besides good luck

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

might be a bit late but i wanted to wish you luck on your trip, its good that you got her a leash and harness, i would put the harness on her a few days ahead of time if possible, to let her get used to wearing it, as it should be on her the whole time shes in the car. and make sure you tell everyone that the leash has to be on her before anyone opens a door or window, cuz even if she comes when called at home, that most likely wont be the case if she gets a chance to run from the car. also, you might find something she sleeps with at home, or perhaps something you sleep with to put in her carrier with her. best of luck, let us know how it goes after you get settled.

My Furry Family
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:10 PM

i would give her some pills. and take a cat harness along to, so she can get out of the car at rest points. and get some fresh air. im sure you wont be Driving 4 days straight.. water also. =)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thumbs up

Sorry it took me so long to post a reply - I've been busy moving in and traveling back and forth across the US, and even to Canada, all this month.

I want to say thank you to everyone for all the great advice!
I bought the Feliway and wow, it really is as great as everyone says it is! In the end I didn't need the pills at all. I could not believe how great Pixel was in the car after I sprayed the Feliway. We went to the vet a couple weeks before the trip and she was awful for the whole 10 minute trip back and forth to the office.
But on this trip she was completely relaxed, and at the hotel she acted normal - like she was home. We had moved with her once before and she refused to poop and barely ate for a week, but this time she did everything just like usual.

So that would be my main recommendation for anyone travelling a long distance with their cat. My other advice would be to get one of the fabric-sided carriers with the steel frame. They're really sturdy, and Pixel liked it a lot better than her plastic one.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:20 PM

Thats great that you guys made it ok!

My cat hates car rides, but not to the extent of shedding or panting.

My grandma use to have a cat who loved the car. Sometimes we would find him in our car after visiting!

Tags
litter box, male cat