cats and fresh air - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Chimphead

Question cats and fresh air

I was just wondering if anyone else's cats go totally nuts when they open their windows. Both of mine do, right now my apartment is a race track for them. they were both really calm and almost asleep when i opened the windows and not even 2 minutes after they were opened they were both running around like mad. THe worst part is they r trying to climb the front door and the walls as well. Sox is running around so much she is actually panting. I don't want to close my windows becuase it is such a beautiful day but at the same time i don't want my home torn apart by 2 wild cats. Can someone tell me why they go nuts when ever a window is opened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 02:16 PM

We have our windows open a lot in the summer, but they also have screens so the cats can't get out. They don't really go nuts, but I think it just gives them so much more stimulation from the outside than a closed window. A nice breeze bringing new smells and all sorts of noises Plus, I think it makes my boys feel like they're getting closer to catching their arch-rival the squirrel who is always in the yard, lol.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Chimphead

we brought our girls out in the summer on leashes and they never went nuts like this. Just when the windows are open.. we have screens in our windows if we didn't they would get hurt when they go out the window since we live on the second floor. We have nailed in a couple of the screens becuase they have gone out the windows. thank goodness they weren't hurt and our neighbours seen one go out the window and put her in their cat carrier for us, since neither of us were home. The second time we lost one out the window she jumped up on to the window sill under our window and waited for us to come looking for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:01 PM

Not really, but when it gets windy outside my 2 youngest cats 1 is 18m and the other 7m go crazy for some reason and im guess it's the wind but it's so fun watching them i add some catnip and they go wild, tonight they got over excited and the older cat of them two (Toulouse) ran into the the coffee table but he was OK he ran after the other cat straight after

Cats are fun when their hyped up like that lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 PM

my cat goes nuts for the open window...he won't run around crazy but if you open more then one window at a time he'll go from one to the other and back again, like dorkchantelle said about the "getting closer" to the squirrals i believe that is more on my cats agenda, if you want to calm your cats down try giving them some catnip before you decide to open the window, because usually a good dosage of that and they are out like a light
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:47 PM

I have two cats also. Ebony and Boots; sister and brother. They seem to cycle between being docile and crazy/hyped-up. They will chase each other around the house back and forth like they are on a race track. They too have run into things and each other. Neither has been injured fortunately.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Chimphead

Mine run in to everything in the apartment includeing me and my fiancee and now one has been hurt thankfully so i know whta ur going threw liz. they are worse when i open windows for some reasoin. U know how your cats get all hypier when u give them cat nip times that by like 10 and u get what my 2 girls are like with the windows open. I have given them cat nip before i opened the windows the time be fore today and they were worst, the way they ran around the apartment they actually knocked the back cushions off the back of the couch. Mind ya when they cam down from the high the slept the rest of the day and the night.

Last edited by LuvMeTrue; 01-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.