Cats / Glowsticks - Caution !!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Cats / Glowsticks - Caution !!!!

Halloween is coming and my son had one of those glowsticks that he got at the store he left out on the sink in his bathroom. I told him to throw it away, but he didn't. BIG mistake!! KEEP GLOWSTICKS AWAY FROM PETS!!!! Although they, in the end, may be non-toxic and will not kill them, they will cause them great pain and suffering if they come in contact with the liquid inside of them and we learned this the hard way Yesterday, my cat, Kirby, all of a sudden, ran through the house to the office, thrashing around, batting at his mouth, scratching at his mouth, like he had just been stung, or had gotten his collar stuck in his mouth and could not get out of it. When I ran to his aid, I found him literally foaming at the mouth, with a look of terror in his eyes. I looked at him and saw the yellow color on his coat and tried to figure out what he had gotten into, a yellow marker pen? no, then I spotted the culpret - a glowstick!!! I tried to scoop out his mouth and instantly called the vet. They just said, get him here quick. I ran him there, breaking all speed limits and even if I were to get a ticket, I wouldn't have stopped, I just would have considered it an escourt and gotten a hefty fine later. When I got to the vet, they didn't even know what to do, they just called the poison center. Flush out your pet's mouth with water. They will be o.k., but it is painful. Keep the glowsticks out of reach if you have to have them. We won't anymore. I am just sick inside for what happened. These kitties are my babies. I am so sorry we had to learn this. I want you all to know so that you don't have to learn the hard way that my little Kirby did.

Last edited by MzKityLvsBrdsTo; 10-17-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: wanted to add something but couldn't figure out how
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Yea....those things arent' that good for ANYONE/ANYTHING! The capsules that hold the 2 chemicals apart before you break them are actually GLASS

Scary, glad ur kitty is ok!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

glad to hear your cats ok, I would have freaked out if that happened to my cat

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:45 PM
can't think of one, help

oh, poor kitty, glad you were home when it happened
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

pooy baby, lucky you were home when it happened, im glad hes ok now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family

Tags
poor kitty