Cats tipping over their water! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thumbs down Cats tipping over their water!

Ok, do anyone's cats do this?? Ahhhhh my cats are so weird. Ok, so they like to stick their paws in and "feel" thats it's water, and splash it all over. arghh. I had a towel under it, and now all the sudden I come in their room in the morning, and the towel is all pushed in the water! lol. Ok, so towel out. I have a water holder thing, holds like a gallon of water(?) Well, we came in one morning and about a gallon of water was on our carpet! I thought the cats were just playing and knocked it over. Then, I saw Ginger knock it over right in front of me!! It appeared as though she saw the bubbles in it or somthing and *WHAK* tipped it all over!It was funny the first time, but then she did it again and again! So we switched out the cat and dog water thingies, thinking the cats water holder was too light, hence the tipping over. A few days later, tipped over again! Ok, so now I take all the waterers out and get this non-skid bowl, and still, it's splashed all over the place this morning! I walk in and all the sudden my socks are soaked!
I saw this mat type thing that goes under food/water dishes at Petsmart, that "soaks" up water or something, for $7.99 or so, I wonder if that works, but I guess than that defeats the purpose of the non-skid bowl,or they could put the mat in the water like they did the towel?! The things these crazy cats do!! Just drink it, not play with it! Does anyone else have cats that do weird things with the water????!!!!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:29 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Ah - that brings back some memories of my "beastie boy" Spooky ... That stinker would sneak up on the water bowl, eyes lookin' all funny, then WHAMMO ! Water everywhere.
My solution? Velcro. I velcroed the darn bowl to the floor. I eventually had to start feeding him on a saucer (yes, the dry food), because he did the same to a food bowl. I tried everything, ceramic, plastic, glass, little 2 compartment dishes - they all went flying. Until I used a plate instead. (didn't work as well for water lol)
I also had a kitty that never, ever put her face down to the water, all water consumed was licked off of a paw. Weird.
Wouldn't you love to know what in the world they're thinking when they do such things ? My Lizzie "tests" the water with her foot before she drinks, but she has one eye, so that may be her reason. She also likes to lay on the edge of the tub while I'm taking a bath and reach down and pat the water. She's a goofball.

Sharon
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:38 PM

Mine love all water, they sit in the sink, jump in the tub when it is drained but still wet, will drink right out of my glass of ice water!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Sharon
What an interesting idea! Velcro! Yes, I do wonder what the cats are thinking, lol! Like right now, I turned my head and Ginger is sitting on top of my entertainment center almost near the ceiling! I see Snuggles sometimes put his paw in the water and flick it around on to the floor, and then decide "ok I can drink this stuff now" lol. Then, I saw Smokie push the towel in the water, lol, they are all making a huge mess for me!! I wonder if this mat I saw to absorb water is any good or a waste? I tried to find the link to show u guys at Petsmart but I can't find it online. I have never seen it before. Cats sure have a mind of their own.

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 11:42 AM

I wish you could take a video of your cats water tipping. That would be fun to watch.

What a neat idea with velcro!

Wellington will usually scratch the placemat first with his two front paws, then do this weird "meowr, meowr" before drinking.

If we could only understand what goes through their heads!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mine do the same thing! Paulie is the worst - he scoops the water with his paw and splashes it allllll over- he also likes to drink from our glasses... 2 of them, Paulie and Sammie love to sit in the sink and "brrrp"! That's their way of telling me to turn the water on so they can lap the water from the running faucet! Wackos! They also like to hang out in the bathroom when I'm showering- as soon as I get out they run in and lap the water from the floor- then lick the water off my legs

I have to say though, I've never had any of them knock over gallons! ACK!!

The worst is when Sammie sticks her paw into my tea... eew... a cat that drinks hot tea? They are all bonkers!

Do your cats ever bury invisible things? Sometimes I'll find one of them just doing the burying motion, over and over - on the hard floor! What are they thinking? What do they think they are burying? It looks so silly!

[center]

[
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

I know the water is all over the place!! They love to run in the shower after its off and lap the water, too. Hmmm.. how come they won't let you give them a bath then? Oh speaking of burying.. my cat Ginger likes to try to bury stuff. If anyone has an accident on the floor, she's the first "on the scene" cleaning it up with her paws, like shes burying it with litter. I felt so bad too, I rescued her and she's front declawed and she uses the scratching post, poor thing. I felt terrible, when I saw her in the store and her tag said "unwanted (by previous owner)" I said "Thats it, she's coming home with me!" If only I could take them all home..

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 08:56 PM

Too funny! My two dont do anything crazy with the water....but dont dare leave a glass of milk sitting on the table!....They try their best not to knock it over as they carefully stick their little paw in it and lick it off. Of course, no matter how careful they try to be....Splash!.... The milk goes over and the cat dashed down the hall knowing he's been caught!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:50 AM

One of my cats, a calico I rescued about 6 years ago, sits near the water bowl, looking sweet and innocent, until another cat comes by to get a drink, then "Whack!" she thumps them on the back of the head, pushing their faces into the water.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:31 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

OMG!! That's hysterical! I can just see it ...

Sharon
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

LOL Phoenix! Exactly Angel, about the milk thing, mine do that too! They like to lick it off their paws. Does anyone that have cats that beg for food? My cat Snuggles is terrible, he begs every time I try to eat! lol. He's worse than the dogs, b/c he won't listen when I saw "down!" lol

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:05 AM

Cats ARE funny. Mine even like to splash in the puddles of water after heavy rains. A cat expert told me that cats like the movement of water and that they will only drink the freshest water, so I was told to get them the Drinkwell water fountain. Man, it' costs about $50! I am still thinking about it!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Smile

Our Gabby loves water. We cant leave the bathroom with out doing the saftey checks!

Shower closed? CHECK

Toilet seat down? CHECK

Sink not dripping? CHECK

Haha! She is crazy. She will get IN the shower with me when its on, and she will lick the drips of water off my legs and the wall. She wont stand directly in the water spray though. She also sits between the plastic curtain and the shower curtain and watch the drips fall and try to catch them...until she realizes she is on the wrong side of the curtain yet again! LOL! She is very silly. She does better than my dogs when it comes to taking a bath. She doesnt try to get out at all, she just walks around in the tub inspecting the water and playing with it. And with the toilet seat, we HAVE to make sure its down, or she will play in the toilet water! Ewww! I hate when company comes over and I look like a major dork saying "Please rememeber to put the toilet seat down when your done!" And they laugh, because not our dogs play in it...the cat! LOL! She is just too silly sometimes.

~Melissa

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

LOL Melissa!!! Your Gabby sounds like a riot!!! She takes baths better than the dogs? Wow, that is cool! Well, my cats act like they love water, but they hate their baths. I actually just caught my cat drinking from my little fountain thing (by homedics, you know the tranquil sounding things) like she wasn't doing a thing wrong! Ewwwww the toliet water! "The cat plays in it, not the dog!" We leave our seats down, and try to always shut the bathroom doors. You know what Smokie has been doing? He takes the toliet paper, and claws it up, and he takes his paws and rolls it down! So, I walk in there and there is a huge pile of toliet paper on the floor, all clawed up!!! Cats really just do what they want!!!
Yayi.. wow $50! I got one for $30, but something broke on it, and we can't figure out why it was leaking The thing was neat, just had to make sure to clean it often.

~* Jackie *~

Tags
dry food, food bowl, water bowl