Catteries - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question Catteries

I was just wondering what you all do with your cats when you go on hoiday. I'm going away for the week in July and am looking into booking Fable into a cattery, I visited one last week which is on a farm but decided he couldn't stay there, it just wasn't a very pleasant place to be, I'm going to visit another this week. What are your experiences with catteries, have you ever had any problems?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Hmm i'm going to watch this thread... I haven't ever used the option before> I had relatives take care of my cats while I was gone. But now down here, I'm facing this problem. I managed to find a friend who may take care of my cat now but at 11 and having never stayed at such place I really dont' want to put my cat through that. I just have a feeling she'd be freaked beyond belief. But I'm open to it possibly... if we end up two weeks visiting Jorge's family or mine, we're going to have to do something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

I work away from home and am gone for 28 days when I work so I take Chester to my daughters house and my girls to my sons. I checked into boarding them at the vets and I just couldn't see them CAGED for 28 days at a time (what kind of life is that?). I am giving serious thought to next time, trying leaving them at home to save them the stress of the car ride and leave them where they feel safe and can have free roam of their OWN house, their beds and mine, their toys and their windows they love to look out of. I am trying one of those self feeders now to see if that works for them and so far it is.

My vet suggested I do this a long time ago and people where I work do it and have done it with no problem for years. My daughter lives 2 miles away and she is willing to come daily to check on them and I have 2 neighbors that are willing to do the same. (but I am skeptical about giving someone I really don't know that well the key to my house!)

Handicap kitties ♥ just leave bigger and deeper paw prints on your heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

If you don't have relatives in the area, you might check with your vet to see if they have any recommendations for in-home sitters. I've seen fliers at my vet for people who will come to your house once or twice a day while you're gone to take care of your pets. (I'd go through the vet since the sitters have been vetted. - Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Another option, some boarding places that handle both cats and dogs may have larger enclosures so the cat isn't caged. I've seen some places that have little luxury suites with TVs and everything.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have the same problem with Smudge, My aunty is getting married later this month and i cant take her with me. Before if i went away, my flatmates would look after her. I'm not sure who to ask and i have to be careful, as smudge is funny when it comes to new people.

An rud is fhaich a dheanamh, 's fhaich e a deanamh ceart!

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the **** alone.

It's great to get back to nature. But instead of taking off all you clothes and running down the high street, why not 'become' a fruit? To achieve this, put some weird floaty music on, lie down, relax and say to yourself, "I am an apple. I am an apple. I can feel the wind brush against me as I hang in the tree." In no time at all you'll find that the worries of the day will melt away, and your only concern will be whether you're about to be turned into a pie.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

My mum just talked to the guy from the cattery I'm visiting tomorrow and he sounded really nice. He said that some of the cats that have stayed at the cattery on the farm (the one I visited last week) have ended up injured and the lady who runs it is more interested in her horses than looking after the cats. I knew I was right, the place felt cold and the ceiling was broken, it just felt all wrong.

I'll let you know what this other one is like tomorrow, I've already seen a photo and it looks far better, the guy said he'd even let Fable stay in their spare bedroom on the last day as they're fully booked on the day we come home.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Check for local pet sitting services (check phone book and newspaper) that come to your home. I have someone in my area that only sits for cats. He's been just wonderful and an elderly gentleman actually. Not only does he tend to my cats but brings in my mail, newspaper and watches out for the house. My cats love him when he comes. He takes the time to play and exercise them also. Expense wise it's not much more than what a cattery or kennel cost with much less stress on the kitty to be able to stay in thier own home. Plus the ability to contact other people he has sitted for regarding references was great.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't thin anyone would come out to our area and I wouldn't trust anyone to come into my home without my being here. This area is just so bad, I wouldn't leave Fable here by himself for the week either so it's better that I find him a nice cattery with people who will give him attention.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well Fable is booked in at the cattery and I know he'll be OK as it's run by someone who works for Cats Protection. They had a rescue kitty in who'd had 4 kittens on a railway line, she was so tiny and gorgeous, she'll be getting rehomed when she's been spayed and of course I'd love to take her home! This cattery is so different to the farm one, it's so comfy and they obviously really love animals, they actually built it because of the farm cattery being so terrible. Anyway I feel a lot better now that everything's sorted out and it's only going to cost me £50 which is a great price for 10 days!