Cerebellar Hypoplasia (video) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Cerebellar Hypoplasia (video)

For those of you who have never seen a kitty with CH, this is a video of my sweet little Amy I took today. She is at a bad point with the rain we have been having and this is her at her worst. Soon as the dampness drys up, she (hopefully) will get somewhat better but this is what the cold, dampness or stress does to her.

Serving her is an emotional roller coaster, going from crying when she is like this, to rejoycing when she accomplishing a goal she has set to challange herself.

Why am I starting another thread on this topic?... To get and keep the conversation going about CH, to inform and educate and hopefully learn more myself. I have no idea if her case is mild or severe, that is my goal, to find that out.

I will warn you, many people cry when they see her and some have admitted crying on another board when they saw this there. I can promise you, she is not in any pain, her legs just won't do what the brain tells them to. Most of the time, she is a sweet little purring machine that will grab your heart and make you love her.

Click on the video picture, it does not have to download to your computer. (Click on it where it will tell you to see it)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handicap kitties ♥ just leave bigger and deeper paw prints on your heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

She is absolutely beautiful! Bless her heart as it appears even eating during bad times could be exhausting for her. Thank you for putting this up as I have not seen the symptoms and effects previously other than in reading. Obviously she is very loved and well cared for.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Title Spy

I did find myself crying a little while watching that. How frustrating it must be for her I hope she starts getting better soon. I'm glad that she has a great home with you; give her kisses from me!

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

DorkyChantelle, it is something she was born with, not something that will get better. Please read below...

Cerebellar Hypoplasia
The cerebellum is the portion of the brain responsible for the control of motion. When a puppy or kitten is born with an underdeveloped cerebellum, the condition is known as congenital cerebellar hypoplasia. There are infectious causes of this condition in both cats (panleukopenia infection prior to birth) and dogs (herpes virus infection prior to birth). Improper development of the cerebellum may occur due to injury, poisoning or just from an accident in development in the uterus. It is generally possible to see signs of this condition almost as soon as the puppy or kitten is born. Affected animals have tremors and unusual jerky movements or may fall down when they try to move. The symptoms do not get worse as they age. As the kitten or puppy grows it will learn to compensate for its condition but there are usually lifelong signs of a decreased ability to coordinate movement. Almost all dogs and cats with congenital cerebellar hypoplasia can live happily as pets with a little special care to compensate for their disabilities. This condition can be confused with cerebellar abiotrophy, a different disorder in dogs in which the puppy has a normal cerebellum at birth but it gradually dies. Signs of disease identical to cerebellar hypoplasia occur but the timing is different. Puppies with this condition seem normal at birth but usually start to show signs of problems after they are 2 months or more of age.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Title Spy

You said she's at her worst right now, I just meant I hope she gets as well as she can soon

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh, OK, sorry... some people just think this is a illness that she will get over and I want them to understand she will not ever get over CH. This is the worst she has been yet, I am hoping weather and stress will ease up so she can improve somewhat but I am new at this CH stuff and this may be the way she stays without any improvements no matter what the weather.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hi Laura! I didn't know you were a member here! I think it's great you are educating people about Amys condition. I'm sure she is a blessing to you. She is a beauty.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

HI CP!! Great running into you here! Yes, I am doing my best to find out all I can and to help educate the ones who (like I use to be) don't know about this. I have come across one person who has a ton of experience and we are communicating through emails and she is being so helpful and teaching me things I did not know about CH. We are in the process now of her trying to asscess Amy and give me a idea of just how bad a case of it she has. Nice "bumping" into you here!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

She is such a trooper Grammy! A beautiful kitty as well. She has a good person looking after her

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Playful Pup

How wonderful for you to care for your kitty! It's a lot of work sometimes, but it's so wonderful of you to care for her. I had a kitty , Belle Starr, that was suspected to have CH, but it was more likely a brain tumor, as it eventually took her to a much better place. I have a kitty now, her litter mate, Annie, that has vestibular ataxia, which is a little similar to CH. She's adapted well to her disabilities and lives her life like a normal kitty with some wobbles. But, our vet said that she wouldn't make it past three weeks, and suggested we not even worry about her, and let nature take it's course. But we didn't listen, and we helped her nurse, and cared for her, and loved her, and she just had her 1st birthday a month ago.

Thank-you so much for caring for your kitty instead of passing her off, or putting her down, like so many people would do. It's so wonderful of you to do!

Cassie

Cassie, Proud Owner Of:

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

CJ, sound like you are as determined to help your baby as I am my baby Amy.. How wonderful you didn't take the vets word for it and have brought her a lot further than he said she could go. Your post about CH is what brought me to this board to start with in my search for learning more about CH so even though your cat ended up with something totally different, it DID help me with my quest for more knolage about it.. So, I guess I owe you and THANK YOU for that. THANKS!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy707
CJ, sound like you are as determined to help your baby as I am my baby Amy.. How wonderful you didn't take the vets word for it and have brought her a lot further than he said she could go. Your post about CH is what brought me to this board to start with in my search for learning more about CH so even though your cat ended up with something totally different, it DID help me with my quest for more knolage about it.. So, I guess I owe you and THANK YOU for that. THANKS!
Aww, you don't owe me a thank-you for anything. It's my angel Belle looking down and helping others. There's another site, not sure if you've found it, but it's www.CHkittyclub.com, and it's very helpful. Maybe you can give it a try. Although, the people here are very helpful, as well. But, that one is centered on CH kitties.

Cassie

Cassie, Proud Owner Of:

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

she is so beautiful...and thank you for teaching me about this, I don't have a cat with it, but you never know and its always nice to know about things, when my cat was diagnosed (well as best the can with a living kitty) with FIP I went everywhere trying to find stuff out, there was so little out there...I am glad we all have paw-talk to come to and learn from each other...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

CJ, I have been there to the CH kitty club and can't figure out how that forum works. I have posted there and my posts have never shown up but I am communicating with one lady that belongs there and she has many CH kitties and we are sharing a lot of information.

Happy Dancer, I find too, that when you are really looking for more information, all you usually find is a repete of the same stuff you have already found.. They need to make a easy forum where people can post and share information in a format (like this one) on everything rather than snippits here and there repeting what you have already seen, all over the web. One that would get down to the nuts and bolts if you can understand what I am saying, a place to swap and share what the average pet over has experienced.