Char Char and his awesome experience today (not)... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Char Char and his awesome experience today (not)...

Well, Charlie had to go to the ER Vet today. He is fine now, but here's the story:

Last night I went outside to greet my friend who came over and there was Charlie on the front steps (like usual). Well, I hadn't seen him in a couple days (this is normal), but I noticed that he looked a little thin. Well, I picked him up like a baby (cradle style) which he usually loves but he yelled at me. Weird. So I put him down in the house so he could go eat, drink, etc.

Well, today I woke up (at 3 pm...I know, I'm bad!) and he was in bed with me (had been all night). He stood up and I started stroking his back and when I would get near his tail, he wasn't picking it up. It was just hanging there limp. So I tried to lift his tail up and once it started to get higher than his body he would yell at me. As soon as he did that, I sat straight up and said, "We're going to the vet!"

When we got there he had a fever (about 104) and they also told me that since last time they saw him (4/05), he had lost about 3 lbs. So he was thinner. Then they looked at his tail. Turns out he had an abcess on the top, base of his tail. Looks like he got into a cat fight or was attacked and got a scratch/cut there that turned into an abcess. They found that out by putting a needle in there and drawing out some liquid/puss stuff. So they ended up giving him a slight sedative and pain meds and making an incision on the abcess so that the liquid/puss could drain out. They cleaned it and left it open to air out and heal. He's wearing a soft E-collar.

So now he is home. He's on meds for a week and he'll have to stay inside for about 10-14 days. I can clean it with a warm, wet washcloth if needed. My poor baby! I'm just glad he's ok!!!

Disclaimer - Please no lectures about why I should keep him inside all the time. I am a big fan of inside-only cats, but this is a special case, as some of you already know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Awwww, poor Charlie. 8( I'm glad he's ok now. Abcesses are pretty common in cats, usually on the tail and legs. Fortunately it's pretty easy to fix! 8) I'm thinking that maybe he scratched it with a branch or a fence? It's odd that a neutered cat would get into fights... it can happen, but less likely...

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Thanks, Di. Yah...I'm thinking fence or something, too. He's only been in two fights since I had him neutered and he came back with cuts on his body from those. I don't think he initiates them; I think he's attacked.

I'm glad he'll be ok, though! I was thinking he broke his tail or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
I'm glad he'll be ok, though! I was thinking he broke his tail or something.
While I was reading the story, I was thinking that too! I was like "oh no! broken tail!" Thank goodness it's not that!

Dimaris

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Leo
Driving Diva

Thanks for bringing him to the vet right away, a lot of people would have waited it out (especially because it is a holiday weekend) or asked for a home remedy and wait a month to bring them in after several failed attempts of different home remedies. It is so refreshing to see someone do the right thing for once . Hope he is feeling better soon and is able to run and play outside again soon. Again seriously thank you for renewing my hope.

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Aw, thanks!! I think I renewed Mastercard's faith, too.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am so glad hes ok...now you get to spoil him like crazy lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Thanks!

Yes, he is being spoiled. But he is ALWAYS spoiled! Haha! It's hard not to when he's so sweet all the time.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh gosh Jane! How scary!!! I'm so glad he is ok and I hope he feels better real soon! Kitty hugs from me!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Thanks, Jackie.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am glad to hear he is doing okay!I also thought you were gonna say he broke his tail,as I read.Glad it wasn't a broken tail!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Thanks! Yah, I'm super glad, too.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

oh goodness!! I'm sorry to hear that happened. We had the same problem with two of my aunt's cats and it did recurr but we figure they were nipping each other and that's why.

So glad he's doing all right though! That must have been so terrifying but good to hear he's fine and will hopefully be back to himself again soon.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 06:19 AM

Awe, poor Charlie! I'm glad its was nothing more serious but that e collar must suck!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Thanks, guys.

The E-collar isn't too bad. It's crushable, so it isn't as bad as the hard ones.

Charlie really is the best patient. He just sleeps and when I'm in there he just gives kisses and kneads on me.

Tags
poor kitty