Charlie question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Question Charlie question

well, a few minutes ago i had my first negative experience with charlie. (he's the stray i'm fostering and he has multiple threads here). keep in mind he's an un-neutered male cat (until thursday anyways).
he's the friendliest, most laid back, calm cat i've ever met, but tonight he did something out of character:

i have him in my room with the door closed cause of the dogs. i can't sleep in there with him anymore cause i'm alone here again (parents went back home) and dogs like to have access to me at night if no one else is here. anyways, he's been alone and i heard him meowing from the room a little while ago. so i went in there and gave him lots of scratches and rubs. i picked him up and gave him kisses and all that. then i put him on the bed and went to leave. well, as i was walking out, he jumped down to walk after me (like usual), but then he attacked my leg. he didn't hiss or growl or anything. he didn't even do that much...just kind of grabbed on to my leg for about 2 seconds and then let go. he did leave a scratch mark through my pj pants (he has full nails because he used to be outside). i told him "no" and asked him, "why did you do that?" so i thought maybe it was because i walked too quickly. so i walked quickly towards him again to see what he'd do and he just walked away a little scared and rubbed his face on my shelf. then i petted him and everything was normal.

so what was that?!?! was he mad cause i was leaving? i've been thinking that he would get mad at me cause i have him "locked up" in my room and he's always been outside. is this why?

please tell me he's not pissed or changing on me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

strange kitty actions

It may just be Charlies way of being friendly, or maybe something does bother him maybe its the dogs, cats and dogs know things we dont, he got upset when you shotued back at him so hopefully he wont do it again.

Or ? you would'nt by cahnce have a mole or spot on your leg, I heard some animals are good doctors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

good ideas. i don't think he was being friendly, but maybe something i did scared him or angered him. i wish i knew what!

about the mole thing - i have a mole on my right leg, BUT:
he attacked my left leg and i had pj pants on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:13 AM

strange biting of leg & Mole

Well its just as well you posted then, charlie may have bitten the wrong leg but if I were you id go to see your doctor just incase it is mellignant, I have heard about this talent in Cats and Dogs.

I would not worry about him biting you im sure he wont do it again, if he does its a personal Love or hate thing that you have to decide which one.

Toky-Ohki = ^ _ ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

This wasn't something that would alarm me personally... but that is because, we happen to have a cat in the house whose manner of play is grabbing ankles and gnawing at the top of your foot & toes. The kitten we had picked up on this immediately (as well as other habits from the other cats in our household).

The situation was thus. The kitten was only comfortable receiving attention in the bathroom and bedroom, usually on or near the bed. Whenever one would walk away and the kitten did not feel it was done receiving attention, it would 'attack'. I think Charlie is just lonely, especially if he was calling for you. You came and pet him, but maybe not enough in his mind. I don't think he intended to scratch you. Sometimes, in the heat of trying to get something they want they just aren't as gentle.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 03:38 PM

The kitten is a feral. He's lived outside for who knows how long. He's learning to live inside and trust. He was happy having you with him - and then when things changed - he got confused again.

He was showing you that he was frustrated. Once he is altered and his hormones change, he will begin to mellow more and more.

I have two feral kittens. Apache was the first to leave her family, and I was able to catch her at 4 1/2 months. Her brother Amigo avoided capture too many times to want to remember. I finally caught him at 7 months old. Apache was a hisser and petrified. But she was food motivated. She ended up being easy to tame. She's now my little cuddle cat.

Amigo is still timid - but getting confident every day. His sister is teaching him to play and to trust. He will still cowar at times with us - and we can't always pick him up.

Depending on your dogs, they may be able to be friends. My dogs love cats, and they play with the kittens.

Best of Luck!!!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 04:39 PM

Oliver and Tiger grab my legs all the time. They do it when they are playful, or they do it to say "hey don't leave, pay attention to me!" Its not a big deal Jane so don't worry. He was most likely just wanting you to stay with him, or he was playing with you.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 06:21 PM

To be honest I agree it is probably just Emotional, I hope I have not worried you, its just something I had in mind a dog belonging to one of my family members found an ill on his owner.

Dont listen to me Im mad

* sings *

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

after hearing all of this:
i feel MUCH better!

thanks to all of you!! he's been fine ever since then. so yah!

Dallas - one of my dogs is fine with him, but my other just isn't. and honestly, i really don't want a cat right now. but i will find him a great home!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
i feel MUCH better!
Good. Its a cat thing. Sometimes they even bite you when they are purring. Its just how they are.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I wouldn't worry either. Sounds like he had a burst of energy (mad cat moment ) He's trusting you more!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jane Milko does this constantly! He'll hide under the lounge, pounce on our legs and dig his teeth in to our ankles...he does when he is being crazy and over excited. We shake him off our leg (it's hard to carry a water spray bottle everywhere you go ) and we need to do it pretty hard to get him to ungrip. He doesn't like us shaking and it stops him from coming back at us. It's the only way we get him to stop otherwise he pounces with each step we take and it hurts way too much!!!! I can't have him do it when he is a full grown cat!!! If he gets too bad I'll push him away with my foot (NOT kicking, just pushing) to get him away from me. He's a very persistent little bugger sometimes!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

lol you guys!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Hehe, glad you're feeling better about it. :^D I"m sure you'll find him a warm fuzzy heart to take him home. I would, he looks and sounds absolutely darling! But I think 5 cats is enough for one trailer.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Yep Jane...I thought I'd add that Gabby always attacks my feet...lol...its her way of playing...she is a meaner type cat...not really a person cat...lol...when she wants to get our attention, she attacks us...lol...luckily (for us I guess) she was declawed when she was a baby. So we dont have to suffer war wounds...lol. She never does it to be mean, just playful.

Tags
male cat, neutered male