Charlie's spraying - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Question Charlie's spraying

well, most of you know that charlie is still spraying. when i let him out into the rest of the house, he sprays stuff. ugh! i took him to the vet about a week ago and he doesn't have a UTI anymore. so i guess that's not it. but he's still scooting. so i'm not sure if he's scooting because his pee-pee hurts or if he's just marking his scent.

i hate having to leave him in the bedroom all the time, but when i let him out, he sprays.

my question is:
does anyone have any recommendations as to how i can correct behavioral spraying? i'm leaning towards the fact that that's what it is, despite the scooting.

thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I just wanted to say that Biscuit scoots her bum...she does it to mark her scent. After Cindy's been in the house it's hard to get that dog off her behind so I'm guessing that it is behavioural....and I have no advice for you cause I've never dealt with it...sorry!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Part of the Pack

I've never dealt with my cats spraying either. My cats just twitch their tails by the place that they want to mark. I have heard there are some products that can be put on things that are undesirable for cats and they are usually sold at every petstore. I know I've seen some sprays that say that it stops cats from spraying. I guess you can ask your cat's vet if he can recommend anything.
I think you can also use a spray bottle whenever he does that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks for the advice! i'll ck out that spray you're talking about.

i need to get a spray bottle! but you know, he really does listen to a firm "NO". he'll stop whatever he's doing about 90% of the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:54 PM

Is he neutered? Male cats will spray and STINK to high heaven when they are not neutered.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

yes he is and the weird thing is he never did it before the neuter. he started a while after it. but he'd had a uti. (he has threads in this section about his history).

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Part of the Pack

hmmm...are there other cats in the household? Or other animals for that matter?

My babies...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Part of the Pack

Well I found this product can help..
Quote:
The initial package comes with a brochure, a video and a spray bottle of Feliway...a pheromone spray or chemical "communicator" that, in this case, helps cats relax and makes the owner's behavior modification efforts so much easier and more likely to work!
And this other info also...
Quote:
A loud " NO! ", several loud handclaps, a squirt from a squirt gun or a vigorous rattle of a pebble in a coffee can all send an additional signal that the behavior is no longer acceptable.

For homes where the cat owner cannot be around to chaperone during the readjustment period, you may want to use some of the "cat repellant" sprays obtained from your local pet store. Rather than spraying this directly on your possessions, spray strips of cloth (about 2 inches by 10 inches should do it) and either lay them on or pin them to the "targets". This spray isn't exactly perfume to humans either, but if you do the cloth strips, at least you can put them away in plastic bag when you are home.
Hope that helps a little. I'll keep looking though.

My babies...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks for the help.

there are my two dogs here. this is a foster cat that i rescued from the street. he didn't do this before the neutering or after. but i think that what triggered it was him wanting to establish his mark because of the dogs. i think this because it didn't start until i started to allow him out in the house w/the rest of us (after the he and the dogs were ok together).
they are generally ok together, but every once in a while there are little spats. but never anything big. only happens maybe once a day.
he's only done it once in my room (where he normally is) and it was after it all initially started. so now when he does it, i put him in there (this is where he sleeps). i feel bad leaving him in there all the time (which is why i started letting him out to begin with), but i don't know what to do. i've been cleaning the areas with anti-bacterial spray and then wiping the areas with Nature's Miracle.

Tags
local pet store, male cat, pet store