Charlie's temperment test - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Wink Charlie's temperment test

well, i'm temperent testing charlie with dogs for more info to provide for adoption.
well, i've brought penny (my yorkie) in there with charlie twice now. the first time i just let penny stand on both feet and snifff (charlie was on the bed about a foot from the edge). charlie just laid on his stomach and looked unsure. penny was very interested in charlie and kept trying to see him. my mom held penny and i held charlie and we kind of put their noses close together and they sniffed each other. then i took penny out.
the next time (today) i just let penny run in and charlie was, again, on the bed - same position. penny sniffed the whole room and all that and charlie just laid there like last time. penny then stood up on her legs and looked up at charlie and charlie made kind of a low growl. so i got on the floor and petted penny. then i got on the bed and petted charlie. then, while petting charlie, i picked up penny and kind of put their noses close to each other again (like last time) and charlie seemed unsure. i moved penny back and then did it again and charlie swiped at penny.

so my conclusion is this: charlie is ok with dogs as long as they ignore him and he has a safe spot up high away from them. otherwise, he may swipe.

what do you guys think? any comments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:25 PM

I haven't met a cat yet that doesn't like to take a swipe at a dog once in a while - it that whole history thing.

I usually tell people that as long as the dog was okay with cats there usually isn't a problem. I know of only one cat that attacks the other dogs in the neighborhood. The owner thinks its funny because he attacks rather large scary looking dogs but the dog owners are getting quite upset. People are having trouble walking their dogs on their own street. So unless the cat acts like that there shouldn't be too much of a problem.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

cool! thanks for the info Dena!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

hehe, I've met quite a few cats that put the dogs in line with a few swipes and that is that. Sounds like Charlie will be just fine in a home with dogs, maybe even come to like them after a while. :^P Or just not care...

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

i hope so too, keritsubo!

Tags
dog owners