char's ultrasound update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Red face char's ultrasound update

everything is clear!!! no stones, no crystals (she did another urinalysis, just in case), no thickening of the bladder or liver wall or anything else. so that's good.

so we (the vet and i) have finally decided that the problem is behavioral. he did it a few times in the past in the living room cause of the dogs, but we feel that the bulk of the problem with the spraying in my bedroom is because he wants to go outside. he's lived outside his whole life (3-4 yrs) and it is mentally unfair to keep him locked in my bedroom. (there is no way to keep him locked in the rest of the house because of the doggy door). so he will be an inside/outside cat. he uses the doggy door freely.

i know some of you may not agree with this decision, but i and the vet feel it is best. if he continues to stress himself out the way he has been, he could really cause damage to his liver, kidneys or bladder. so for this reason he will be an in/out cat. i will also be getting the feliway to place throughout the house, just in case.

thanks for all the support throughout charlie's ordeal. he say's "mew mew" (that means, "thank you").

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm glad to hear everything is clear Jane!!! While I personally prefer cats to be indoors I do understand Chalie's situation and having an unhappy pet isn't the way to go either. Not every cat adjusts to the inside only life and Charlie is just one of them! Hopefully Charlie can be truly happy with his new living arrangements and will stop spraying!!! You're doing everything in your power to give Charlie a good life!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Last edited by RSbunny; 06-06-2005 at 08:30 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I'm glad everything went okay! I understand that keeping Charlie indoors/outdoors is also the best thing to do. I mean how would you like to be outside for a third of your life and then be forced to live inside forever without any warning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

aw guys! thank you so much for the supportive words. it makes me feel a lot better and not so alone in my opinion/decision.

i wanted to add (forgot this earlier) - i let him outside from thursday to saturday (then took him in for his appt monday) and he didn't pee a single time after that. so i really believe this will help. today i let him out ouside (showed him his food outside first) and he walked around the yard and then came through the doggy door and hung out with us in the house. no peeing! he's outside somewhere now. i think he's feeling better (mentally).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Miss New Booty

Aww Jane, glad to hear such a good update about Char!!! Great news!!! You love him and have done so much for him and are giving him a great life. I know how much you wanted to keep him inside, but hey if thats what makes him happier, that's great! I'm glad everything is working out for everyone! Glad there has been no more peeing in the house, too!!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

aw I'm glad to hear things are finally looking up for Charlie! he's so lucky to have found you
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I had a cat I loved who had never been outside that sprayed...a girl lol...she only went on my little girls stuff, and as much as I loved her, my little girl has a weak immune system so I gave her to my friend...shes happy, and we have momma now so its sort of worked out, but I still miss her alot

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Part of the Pack

It's good that he seems to be feeling better. I understand about him wanting to be outside more. Indoor life is not for every cat. Good luck with him

My babies...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am glad you have solved the problem.
I myself believe that cats are not supposed to be kept indoors if they hate it.
That is mental torture.
You are doing great with him

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you all so much!!!

we still haven't had any pee issues. and on top of that - now that he knows i won't yank him back inside for long periods of time whenever he goes outside, when he does go outside now, he usually hangs around the porch and yard area. he does venture out, but he used to ALWAYS jet off and i could never get near him outside (he'd think he'd be going inside for weeks). he is still leary of letting me pet him outside, but he is getting better.

i really didn't expect so much support, guys. thanks.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Jane, the most important thing is that Charlie is HAPPIER now and he's running outside as a neutered tom.

And, because of the doggie door, he has the choice to come in when he wants, which I feel is great. He's not being locked outside in the cold.

You've done SO MUCH for Charlie that it's just amazing. He is truly blessed to have you in his life. Every good pet owner knows that mental happiness is just as important as physical health and safety, and for Charlie, this is what gives him happiness and reduces his stress, which in turn is good for his health.

I think you made the right decision and Charlie is happy because of it.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

:hugs: aw! thank you so much, rowan!!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Glad to hear you figured things out and now Charlie is leading a more content life. I don't blame him for being discontent in doors. Some strays turn out like that... one of our cats is fussy because she used to have an enclosed balcony she could sit in. Now she has nothing... she's fussy but not that bad. Some cats adapt, some don't, you did the right thing! IF this is what Charlie wants then why keep him from it? Very pleased to hear he isn't wandering off though. I'm sure he's very very happy with how much you have helped him adn continue to help him!

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

aw, thanks!!

on another note:
i found a home for charlie. it's with this really cool lady that lives very close by and she will really take care of him. i just want what's best for him and i truly believe he'll be better off with her. you can read about her in this new thread:

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...494#post283494

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I didnt realise you were thinking of giving him up.
I thought he was yours.
I am glad you are keeping him and I am glad he is happy now

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge

Tags
pet owner