Cloned cat generates ethics debate - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Cloned cat generates ethics debate

Have ya'll heard about this??

A woman paid $50,000 for the first cloned cat. They used DNA from her cat that passed away last year.

Yahoo News Story - Cloned Cat

I'm sorry but this really gets to me. There are thousands of cats put to sleep every year because they don't have homes. And do you know how many cats could be spayed and neutered for that $50K?? Or how about sending that money to the Tsunami victims who have no home, no food, no water....

How WASTEFUL. With so much want and need in this world I find it despicable to spend $50K on a cat.

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I agree with you 100%. But then,even if it was $5, I'd still think it was wrong.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

well she had her cat for 17 years, and we do strange things sometimes especially when we love something that much, i agree that she shouldnt have done it but you still have to understand that she probably missed that cat alot to spend that much money trying to clone it........

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm with Jodi and Lixx....just cause it looks the same, it isn't the same!!!!! This is why cloning in general ticks me off....the whole lot is wrong....just wrong!!!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
I'm with Jodi and Lixx....just cause it looks the same, it isn't the same!!!!! This is why cloning in general ticks me off....the whole lot is wrong....just wrong!!!!!

I mean come one!!! I love my animals like no other,but OMG when it is there time to go, it will be just that their time to go, I don't except Darren to clone me when I'm gone because he loved me for 30+ years (for example).

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

yep I agree....bringing animals/people back from the dead (or pretending to) is just so unbelievably wrong!!!!!!! People need to stop playing god............

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
People need to stop playing god............
I couldn't of said it better!!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I read that awhile ago and I think they had a story on the news about it. I think it's very sad and digusting.

Rhonda

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Miss New Booty

Yah I saw that, too. It's unreal!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree that people should not try to play god, because I've read some of the horror stories about scientists cloning things and its just sad. I also agree that the 50K could have been spent in a more logical way. This may be weird, but in Revelation, it talks about the antichrist dieing and then coming back to life. I kinda think it may be that he is cloned. Cloning is just scary.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I do not think this was right for many reasons... no matter how much you love someone, pet, spouse, anyone... they will be gone some day and we need to accept that. I think there is something wrong with the picture of this woman. The money, I agree, coudl have been spent much better. Not to mention, it doesn't seem healthy to cling to something that is really gone. She could have given a wonderful loving home to an abandoned animal.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.