Cloning domestic house cats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

View Poll Results: Should scientists clone domestic animals?
Brilliant Idea! 0 0%
Never. 10 90.91%
Not sure... 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Question Cloning domestic house cats?

good idea??

scientists cloned a domestic house cat! does anyone else agree that people like that should Only clone animals that are suffering in the wild? i mean, we have thousands and thousands of unwanted starving cats on the street. one thingwe DONT need is more! if anything, we should take in the cats on the street!

If scientists are going to clone, shouldnt they clone the......bald eagle? the manatee? the suffering animals, not the overly populated ones???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 01:07 AM

Animal cruelty! This is another step towards human cruelty as well!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 09:49 AM
Fertile Myrtle

I'm with Dena - when you start messing with God's plan and work you're just asking for a butt-load of trouble!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 10:53 AM

I am with Dena and Christi, Don't mess with God's work.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

i wish there was something we could do about this.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Alena

from what i read in the newspaper, they are not claiming this to be a solution for grieving pet owners, as the cloned pet will not look or act the same as the deceased animal.
I am personaly for cloning for the purpose of creating organs to be used for organ transplants.... there are people dying every day because they die before they get a chance for a transplant. some of these are people that could have a relatively healthy life otherwise... this is a touchy subject because some will claim we are "playing God".. but, following the same logic, so are antibiotics.. who are we to draw that line and tell the little boy or girl waiting for a transplant that they will die because we find this morally wrong???

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

but you also have to think...are population is going to rocket sky high if this kind of thing goes out like that, ya know? i mean, i think our population is already huge....next time ur out in 5:00 traffic, look around at all the cars on the street and all the pollution they are putting off. if we get many more people, theres going to be no where to go, all the rain forests will be torn down, and the nice woods behind some peoples houses will be gone, and with out trees, and with all of the pollution going on, we wont be able to breath.

i dunno, maybe im the only one who thinks about all of this...it was just a thought, does anyone see where im coming from?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Fertile Myrtle

I see where you're coming from and I agree. As harsh as it may sound, the whole life-death cycle is in place for a reason.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

yepp kinda sad but i feel the circle needs to keep circleing ya know? i mean if we have something that we can fix and stuff, *with out cloning* then dive in a fix it, but cloning is just somthing i dont think we should do...i see where Alena is coming from too though...

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:49 PM
Alena

Quote:
population is going to rocket sky high
that is a great thing to say to a greiving family member, i am sure....
i see where you guys ar coming from, but like i said, where do we draw the line? we eliminated polio and smallpox and other diseases through vaccination.. that was progress that was unwelcomed by some AND it caused for more people to survive... we are not able to do in vitro fertilization, which is a procedure 4 people i know went through in the last year.. those peope were "not meant" to have children, and ow they are pregnant or just gave birth....that is increasing our population.. Refrigerators help us keep food from spoiling and therefore less peopl die of food poisoning... we have stopped being hunters and gatherers and now know advanced farming techniques.... i mena, i can go on forever.. all of the things we are enjoying now, including this forum, are results of progress. i think we cannot stand in the way of progress... once again, i am AGAINST cloning a deceased pet or family member.... i DO belive in cloning for the sake of organ transplants.... just my $.02...

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 01:12 PM
Fertile Myrtle

But if you clone for the sake of transplants - then what happens to the rest of the "person"? They just get thrown out? Makes no sense.

I see your point and I agree that we have tons of things around us as a result of technology but those things are also leading to our demise.. just as cloning will.

Stepping out of this conversation now..

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Alena

cloning will be done on such a level where only the organs needed will be cloned, not the whole person.

over and out!

:hershey: :hershey: :hershey:

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I don't agree with cloning Mr. Tiggers either. No offnese, I love my pets very much, but cloning seems a little extreme to me.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

"cloning seems a little extreme to me."

yeah, i totally agree...here think about this: what are we going to do when the day comes when the prez says "CLONING IS OK FOR EVERYONE TO DO!!!!!!!" we are going to get people that would have killed to have a twin sister or brother...a mom that wouldve done the same to have twin kids...people that just want their cat or dog to be cloned so they can "live forever"....then a day will come when we will walk outside, and see millions and millions and millions of people...not knowing what to do with therselves...the crime is going to go up, the tree level is going to go down, for more houses to go up...the starving cats on the street are going to quadruple (however u spell that)

sure, we have Refrigerators that keep our food nice...yeah we have shots to sheild some sicknesses and we have our nice other things to live off of. they keep us nice and cumfy knowing that what we eat is not bad...what comforness will cloning a live animal bring us?

(im not arguing or getting mad!!!! lol, im putting my little confusing thoughts into this confusing convo)

ya, im out too :hershey:

Last edited by Rocheal; 02-20-2002 at 04:27 PM.

Tags
animal cruelty, pet owner