Colds - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Colds

How do you know if a cat has a cold?

Emil has been sneezing a lot and snuffling. He also was off his food last week which is very ODD but he is eating again now.
He is also being super grumpy and attacking the other cats and even the rugs.
Do you think he has a cold and what should I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

Anytime a cat goes off food, you need to see a vet ASAP. Without food, cats develop fatty liver VERY quickly (48-72 hours) and they can die just as quickly. Our male just had what is called the "cat 'flu". He went off feed and we had to force feed him and nearly had to insert a feeding tube. Keep in mind that in only one week, his liver values were elevated out of the normal range. This was despite our efforts to keep him nourished.

If he's still sniffling, I would definitely see a vet. It sounds like a respiratory infection.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Yeah, sounds like he's got something going on. I'd contact your vet and figure out what. It could very well be a cold or something else... hopefully just a little thing that'll pass through in a few days.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Seek a vet ... my first cat came with a cold when we rescued her as a kitten. Poor thing ... the vet perscribed antibiotics and the cold-like symtoms went away almost immediately.

P.S. ... cat colds are very contagious so count on any other cats you own getting it ... make sure you take their weights in so the vet can perscribe enough pills for all to take ...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

If he's be off his food for a week you need to go to the vet NOW! As Candice said, they can not go without food for long before other problems start occuring. Please let us know how the visit goes.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Part of the Pack

Sky was sick when she came to me from the shelter. It's called upper respiratory infection, which is basically a cold for us. It is extremely contagious. Simba got sick with her and he spent more than a week without eating anything. Sky ate everyday but Simba got really lethargic. It took them about a month to recover.
You should take your cat to the shelter to be sure he's ok. It could also mean allergies.
I know Sky has them since every now and then she sneezes.

My babies...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

He did not totally go off his food just did not eat as much as usual and that lasted only for 2 days so there is no panick there about him not getting any food.
He is not snotty around his nose area and none of the other cats have been sneezing.
I will see what the vet thinks

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Part of the Pack

Hmmm...I meant "You should take your cat to the vet"...not the shelter lol...sorry.

My babies...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i thought maybe vet was called shelter in your country or something strange...
Is it late there or something???
It is midnight here.

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Part of the Pack

No...lol. Since I was talking about how I got Sky from the shelter...vet just turned out that way. It's barely going to be 5 over here.

My babies...

Tags
respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection