Collar Sores - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Collar Sores

Oliver has a sore on his neck and it looks like its from his collar. I took it off right away and now it looks like he has a scab and it feels more raised. Do I need to put anything on the scab? I feel so bad that his collar did this to him. I won't be putting it back on so I need to get him a new one. Anyone know of a soft break-away collar?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 05:35 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

are you sure that it is a cut/scab? if so, i would gently pour some hydrogen peroxide on it and then put some neosporin on it. just try to leave the collar off for a couple of days. if you can't, just put it on loosly.

there are some collars online that are all cotton. let me see if i can find the link. brb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 05:37 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Arrow

here is one good one page...

http://www.moonvalleycollars.com/cotton.html

most are going to be like this. this may be an option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yep, its definitely a scab. I'm keeping a close eye on it to make sure it dries up. Its hard because he doesn't like me to mess with him there. He had the cutest collar and it was perfect for his personality but I think the material is too stiff. Thanks for the link. I'll check those out!

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

did you like those? i know that Animal Planet makes some good dog collars that they sell at Petco. not sure about cats, though. when i did that search, i just typed in "all cotton cat collars".

good luck!

how is your kitty??

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Those are cute Jane. I've been looking into Beastie Bands too. I can't find any that look as cute as the collar he has now though. I'll check out Animal Planet too. Ollie is doing better BTW. It seems to be healing up. Poor baby!

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

ok, i'm dying to know...
what does he collar look like now? i have to know!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
ok, i'm dying to know...
what does he collar look like now? i have to know!
LOL I'll see if I can find a close-up pic of him.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
here is one good one page...

http://www.moonvalleycollars.com/cotton.html

most are going to be like this. this may be an option.
That is a great site. Must resist ordering large quantities of cute collars...!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Here are some pics. This collar totally fits his personality and looks so cute. He looks naked without it right now! His comfort is my top priority though so I haven't put it back on. It never seemed to bother him and I just discovered the sore when I was petting him. I got it at Petsmart BTW. Its a safety collar.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Roz, I've checked out that site too. They have cute stuff. I just can't find the right one for Ollie though. I'm very picky LOL!

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww I'm glad Ollie is doing better! Like Jane said, I would put a little Neosporin on it. Snuggles had a little cut on his chin and I put Neosporin on it. I know, it's hard b/c they don't want you to touch it at all! Snuggles knew when I took out the tube of it!
Awww what a cute collar! He's so adorable!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Veggie,
It is a really nice collar on him. It's such a shame it doesn't work for him at all anymore. Glad he's healing up nicely

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Veggie,
It is a really nice collar on him. It's such a shame it doesn't work for him at all anymore. Glad he's healing up nicely
Thanks. I may give it another chance. He's worn it for months without a problem, so maybe he was just playing too rough with the other kitties and got a burn from it or something. I might give it a try after he's all better and check him every day.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I think that'd be a fine idea.

-

Tags
animal planet, ear mites