complications after spaying? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

complications after spaying?

Hello,

Maybe this question is common or has already been posted, so forgive me if that's the case.

It will become clear that I'm not an experienced cat owner, but, naturally, I've always been a big fan. at any rate, I got a Russian Blue(first cat) about 4 months ago, and she's the best. Just last week I had her spayed. The place that performed the surgery, somehow or another, came highly recommended... When I took my cat out of her carrier once we got home I immediately noticed a large gash on the top of her head--the fur had also had been gouged out. I called the office immediately, and they claimed she "bumped her head," and didn't have too much else to add, acting pretty nonchalant about things. If that weren't enough, two days later after controlled inactivity I noticed that beneath the incision there is a protruding lump(the lump remains the same at 7 days post surgery), much like a hernia my mom's dog developed after being spayed.

essentially, I'm just looking for some insight as to whether the two injuries might be related, or if someone else has had a similar experience, at least with the spaying complication. also, if anyone would know if there is any legal recourse for me--not for personal gain but rather to report this animal hospital as incompetent, I'd appreciate that very much.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I do not know much about cats or vets but I do know that they should have told you at the vets that your cat had bumped its head and what treatment if any they administered. Not just let you discover it when you got home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oh my gosh, that sounds awful.
I would take her to a different vet as soon as possible, and see what they think about the whole situation.
I hope she's ok!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Both things worry me. The bulge at the incision site POTENTIALLY could be from kitty's activity around the house but if you used our vet's office, you would be told to come down asap to have it looked at.

The gash on the head should of never happened! If someone was careless with your kitty and her head got bumped, they should be tripping over themselves to apologize to you. Cats are placed normally in stainless sterl cages with no sharp edges, so it is not like she did it to herself.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
Both things worry me. The bulge at the incision site POTENTIALLY could be from kitty's activity around the house but if you used our vet's office, you would be told to come down asap to have it looked at.

The gash on the head should of never happened! If someone was careless with your kitty and her head got bumped, they should be tripping over themselves to apologize to you. Cats are placed normally in stainless sterl cages with no sharp edges, so it is not like she did it to herself.
Yeah, I immediately came to the same conclusion, thinking 'why would there be a sharp edge in a pet cage?'

could you venture a guess as to what the bulge may be?

more or less, I'm just trying to prepare myself to avoid a violent outburst, as the whole ordeal was just a complete disaster. no doctors spoke to me afterwards. they just handed me papers and the carrier. I feel like they should be able to remove the stitches without causing any more trauma tomorrow--or at least I hope.

thanks for the responses. I guess more vet trips are forthcoming...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr96
also, if anyone would know if there is any legal recourse for me--not for personal gain but rather to report this animal hospital as incompetent, I'd appreciate that very much.
You can contact your state veterinary board with a complaint.

Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

You should definetely raise a big stink about the gash.

As for the bump, I noticed something similar on my cat, Galina, when she was spayed. She got it probably as CTChin mentioned--being active around the house. My other cat, Gerona, did was she was SUPPOSED to do post-surgery and rested. But Galina? Nope. The bump went away about two weeks after her stitches fully dissolved (3-4 weeks after surgery). Our Finnish vet said not to be concerned with it unless it changed in shape, size, softness/hardness or stuck around for over a month and was still there even after the cat fully healed. So, I wouldn't be TOO concerned with the bump, but you could have it seen to just to be safe.

The biggest thing is the gash, though. There is absolutely NO reason why she should have that gash on her head!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I agree with everything already stated...Your cat shouldn't have gotten any gash or bump on the head. Even animals having seizures cannot get a gash in any of our cages, nor is there any way for even a very upset cat that is trying to attack us to get a gash. That's just really strange.

As for the post-op "bump" at the incision site, that could be any number of things from internal stitches causing mild swelling, to an infection. I would definetly have it looked at just to be safe. Most times our vet doesn't come talk to every post spay or neuter patient's owner before going home, but he does check every incision site before we take the animal to the owner. If anything looks funny at all, he does an exam and talks to the owner though. I know my vet would be one ticked off Dr. if any of his empoyees sent an animal home with a gash on it's head and didn't inform the owner of what happened and how. He would also treat that wound at no cost to the owner. I think you should talk to the vet directly and then if he/she doesn't do anything about it, report them to the state veterinary board

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That is extremely poor handling on the part of the vet. I would definatly report them and find another vet. I could not imagine handing an animal back to an owner with a new injury and not notifying them!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
animal hospital