Cost of... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Question Cost of...

Hi, I'm a soon to be kitten owner. I was just wanted to know how much a check up costs?

I also want to know how much spaying and neutering costs.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi there! Welcome to PT!!

I would say all vet visits are different, it depends on where you go. We live in Florida, I'm not sure how much prices vary in different places. Kittens and puppies usually get 3 sets of vaccines, boosters, then after that it is once a year. A regular check up at my vet for the cats (including shots) is about $75. Blood work costs extra. If I have a concern and just want something checked out, etc, it runs about $35 or so.

Everywhere also seems to have different prices on spaying and neutering, too. I think it costs a little more for a spay, because it's more invasive. It cost more to spay my girl dogs vs. my boy. My female cat Ginger and Snuggles (male) were already fixed when we adopted them, so I'm not sure on the spay cost. When we got Smokie as a kitten and got him neutered, it cost about $100. The costs vary a bit if you want them to have fluids during surgery, pain meds after, etc. It cost about $150 to spay the dogs.

I hope that helped a bit! When are you getting your new kitty?? How exciting!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Newborn Pup

A rule for most visits to the vet is that at a normal vet clinic it costs about as much as a human doctor's visit. Special deals are often made for vaccinations or spaying/neutering. This often costs about 3 times as much as a human doctor's visit. Emergency visits at odd hours are about double a normal consultation fee. Medicine is a little cheaper than for human care. Have medical care for your pet in place if you can, or have a savings account where you put away an amount each month to pay for future vets visits/emergencies. It can and will happen to you. Assume that your cat will break his leg, develop diabetes or get a rash that doesn't want to go away at least once in his life. Plan for this.

This is just a international general guide.

Sometimes individual countries have societies/shelters/special orginisation that offer care at cheaper rates. Often shelters offer spaying/neutering/vaccination deals for a minimal fee if you take a kitten they have rescued. These kittens are just as perfectly lovable as pet shop kittens ! Please adopt a homeless kitten! There is always a HUGE variety at most shelters, even cats that look exactly like pure bred cats!

HAVE YOUR KITTEN FIXED OR DON'T GET HIM AT ALL

Repeat that loudly. Most vets cost result from things that could have been prevented by spaying/neutering. Cuts that get infected, broken legs, infections from cat bites.... Your cat can only be friendlier and happier after being fixed. The risks are minimal. The benefits are lithany! So save yourself a huge amount of money by spending a little to have your kitten fixed. And don't even mention stray cats that have millions of kittens each year....

Yours just might be the pregnant cat! Can you afford to have 4-6 cats?

I thought it couldn't happen to me too...It did.
I have 6 cats now
And a dog
The eldest cat lost his leg to amputation yesterday. Stuff happens.

Don't misunderstand me...I am not trying to scare you away from getting a pet.
Your cat is going to be the most rewarding purchase you ever make bar none. Just don't under-invest on your best buy!When the time comes you will not be able to give him away or put him down because you don't have money. You will bankrupt yourself and try to save him. Unless you are Hitler.

Believe me, all the planning, costs and effort will be worth while when kitty curls up and makes a warm spot on your lap while you are typing on your pc or reading a book. He will purr when you feed him , and you will feel like God. When he uses the litter box properly the first time you will make a fool of yourself to your friends by describing his toilet habits in detail and ending the sentence with "It's so CUUUTE!" Pets make people healthier and makes them live longer.

All this for about the amount you pay for household insurance is a pretty good deal!

Good luck!

Rant will end now

Whizper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your great advice/information! I will be getting my kittens next weekend. But I'm going to wait for them to get settled in before I go get them fixed. The breeder said a month would be fine.

Thank you!

Here are some images:
Avril
Matisse
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

It cost me about 70 dollars to spay Trinity and shot the FeLV distemper and one other shot cost about 40 and then the second FeLV i think it was about 20 dollars then her rabies shot was about 12 dollars. I been going to this small family owned vet since Lady was a puupy and the husband and wife do it for the love of animals not to bankrupt people. So i dontk now exactly if my prices are ok or not

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Your best bet would be to call around to different animal clinics and find out what their prices are. When I got my cat, I called around and they told me week by week how much it would cost. Have a vet picked out BEFORE you get your new kittens.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

I know you said you were going to a breeder, but if you would consider rescuing a kitten from a shelter, I know a lot of shelters around here will include most of that stuff in the price of the kitten. At our Humane Society, a kitten is $65, which pays for the spay/neuter and a check-up, and they already have their vaccines.

Tags
broken leg, humane society, litter box, male cat, pet shop, pure bred, stray cats, vet clinic, vet visit, vet visits