This could only happen to us (another story for Bob! lol) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

This could only happen to us (another story for Bob! lol)

Last night we rushed Milko to the emergency vet. It was just before 11.30pm and I was coming out to the computer to say goodnight to Alex (he was doing some work...and I was still up cause it's HOOOTTTTT! I sat in a cold bath for an hour and a half last night and did not get cold...I should've slept in there) and to pee. Well I went into the laundry and realised that Milko wasn't breathing properly (he went to bed at 10pm fine and dandy). At first I thought he was going to cough up a fur ball (he never has but he is shedding his fur like crazy right now) but that didn't happen after I watched him for about 15 minutes. I was being a freaked out cat mum watching him try and breathe but was trying to stay calm...his nose and eyes were clear of dishcarge so I thought he might have one of his biscuits caught in his throat...I checked his airways and found nothing. His colour was good and it was then that I noticed there was a bit of phlegm on the floor. Alex told me to ring the vet and at that point he started panting. I rang the vet, who put me onto the emergency vet and they suggested a tick (they have three tick cases in there but I knew that Milko getting a tick in the 45 minutes he was outside a week ago and only seeing symptoms now was highly unlikely). I didn't even bother to check him (he would have to have gone to the vet anyway...we only get paralysis ticks around here) and we bundled him up in the car (me in tears thinking he was going to die, Alex yelling at me for not being able to get it together and asking how I was going to cope if this was our daughter...haha I'd have a whole medical team flown in!) and I managed to compose myself by the time we got to the clinic.

The diagnosis is..........cat flu!!!! My fully vaccinated, indoor only cat has managed to contract cat flu in the 45 minutes he was outside last week! I swear only we could be so unlucky!!! We got home at 1am and he is on an antibiotic paste for a week. I got up and checked him at 4am and he was no worse and the vet said it could take 2 days to see signs of improvement and to only worry if he gets worse. Once I thought about it he hasn't really eaten all week but with how stressed he gets from loud noises and builders I knew this week was going to be bad for him and I put his not eating much down to stress and the heat.

Oh and I had Biscuit at the vet yesterday morning too but she thankfully is fine and her dermatitis has cleared up.

So Bob....I know you said you like to read my stories but seriously, I'd like to be the next one going to the hospital!!!!!! Can't all my pets just stay healthy now!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen! I don't believe this! Talk about the odds of that happening. Could you possibly have more stuff going on with your pets? Okay, you need a "pets are to stay healthy for a long, long, time" vibe.

I hope Milko gets better!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow all this and a baby coming just around the corner! Hope he gets better and all your animals stay healthy

Shannon

Mother to a beautiful girl!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks guys! He coughed up a little bit more phlegm this morning but he seems to be breathing a tiny bit easier. The vet said it hasn't gone to his lungs (thanks to his vaccinations) so it's all in his head at the moment. I knew he was sick last night cause at the vets there were moths everywhere (Milko's favourite 'toy' of all time) and one landed on his nose and he didn't even bother to bat it off. He just looked at it. The interesting part will be if Alex ends up having to give him his meds....it's not something he has EVER done before cause it's always just been my job.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no Carmen! Poor Milko!!!! What an ordeal for all of you, especially right now!! I hope he is feeling better soon, give him a hug for me!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

You took a bath to pee?!?! Ewww!!! That's all I understood from your long report.
I'm so glad Milko is okay! That sure is scary and I would have been crying and panicking just like you if that happened to one of my animals!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Natalie! For the record I don't pee in the bath, the shower, public pools, the ocean etc!!! I said that it was hot here and to give you guys an idea of how hot it is I sat in a cold bath for an hour and a half! But that was earlier in the night...and when I decided to finally give up on waiting for the storm to come through that never came I went to say goodnight to Alex and to pee and that's when I noticed Milko wasn't breathing very easy.
Ok now have I got that covered? My name is Carmen, and even at 9 months pregnant I don't pee anywhere except for in the toilet (not even accidently, I have good bladder control! )

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Oh come on Carmen...we all know you pee on yourself!

I'm sorry that this is all happening right now. I hope that everyone feels better and you can go back to concentrating on the pregnancy.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I can never tell with you, Carmen!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, nothing is sacred here! Leave Carmen alone! She is ready to have a baby.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Denise! you're my favourite now!!

The meds seems to be working already..he still isn't great but he is breathing easier and we let him out for a little while last night (I'm trying to keep him confined so he rests but I don't want him to go insane either) and he chased a moth in the house! He has head something to drink and last night he was hungry but the dry food was obviously hurting his throat so we mixed it with a little bit of lactose free milk...I figured once won't hurt and at this stage it's better to see him eat.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor little guy but hey you need to do what is best for him, which looks like you are doing, all these craziness and a baby wanting out, if I were you I would be going crazy lol. Keep up the good work

Shannon

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Shannon...after today I will be stress free...the builder finishes his work today so my house can be back in order then it's come on baby!!

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Great to hear they will be done! That must be a huge relief! Hope from now on things go smoothly

Shannon

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I am glad it is only the flu for Milko and I hope he is feelng better soon. Now go have that baby!

Tags
dry food, emergency vet