Crystal Kitty Litter??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:26 PM
Desdemona

Question Crystal Kitty Litter???

I read your kitty litter info, but there was nothing on this new crystal litter that you only need to change like once a month (if you have one cat, more often if you have more). Apparently the crystal obsorb all liquid and moisture (leaving nothing but dehydrated poos that need to be removed daily) and they are great for covering up odor. I am getting a cat this weekend (here is the link http://paw-rescue.org/CATS/levi.php isn't he adorable???) And I purchased some of the crystal litter (which BTW costs an arm and a leg, but you use a lot less then the other kinds). Has anyone here used this stuff??? Do you like it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'm familiar with a sand-type of litter that the urine "clumps" in and you dispose of the clumps. The biggest problems I heard about it was that you end up with sand all over your house!

Up until this past July I have always been a multi-cat household (down to one now - have had as many as 7) so I was never in a position to use anything except the good old Tidy Cat for years. The cat I have now has become accustomed to going out in the backyard and would much rather do that than use a litter box.

What a beautiful cat! Hope you guys have much fun and many years together.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 08:15 PM

I don't have anything useful to add, but I wanted to say that he is beautiful and sounds like such a sweetheart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Princess in Waiting

"It is made of silica gel (same stuff found in those little packets of desiccant that are sometimes found in various dry food packages, inside new leather goods, etc). "

We used to use a product like this when attempting to get urine samples from cats. Some would use it, some would turn up their noses at it. And the best part was that veterinarians are generally speaking a thrifty group of people so we always had to wash it and re-use it. (Wonder where all the bacteria in the urine came from?)

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 05:19 PM

I have a ferret and it is not supposed to be used for them. B/c since it takes out all moisture, if it gets in an eye it can cause lots of damage. It's will also stick to small animals bottoms if touched to it. But ferrets decide to tunnel thru their litter box quite often so it may be ok for a cat.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:48 PM
Princess in Waiting

I think we've all voted and decided NO on this litter, based on cost and possible damage to your cat. Let's go with something cheaper that we know won't hurt that beautiful guy!!

I've been wanting to get one of those litter boxes that has the big sifter-thing at the bottom that you pull out and shake all the litter out of then just dump anything left behind then I think you turn the whole thing over. My litter boxes are about 100 years old (not really - just seem like it!) so I think it's about time to make a change. A friend had one of those electric ones because her dog was eating the cat poop out of the box and she thought this would eliminate that problem. Instead, he'd follow the cat and eat his fill before the box had time to scoop itself! (It was on a ten-minute timer and couldn't be changed.)

Nothing's perfect, huh?

Critter

CRITTERCALL

Tags
dry food, kitty litter, litter box, litter boxes