Cut cat while removing a matt (sp) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Hi, Im a new member as of today. My name is Rory and I have a domestic long hair a little over a year in age. I was giving her a bath two days ago and and decided that I was going to remove a matt that became visible when her hair was wet. Needless to say I cut a little close and took a fair chunk of skin along with it. I didn't even notice the cut/laceration until I was drying her off 10 minutes later. The weird thing is she didn't even acknowledge it and even when out of the tub she didn't acknowledge it and still doesnt.

I set up a vet appointment yesterday but upon further review I decided to cancel because my mother spoke to our vet back home (im currently in Ohio, parents in PA) and she said to keep it clean and watch for any turn for the worse scenario's. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has had similar experience......what have you done??? etc Any advice would be appreciated. I currently have it unbandaged because I can't get it on well enough due to the location. It's high on her right rear leg. I have been using Neosporin and Hydrogen Perioxide periodically at least once or twice a day. Im just really worried about it. But don't want to have to take her to the vet for he/she to tell me to do what I am already doing and maybe give me an antibiotic and charge me a quick 100 bucks. Thanks in advance....sorry for the novel

Sincerely,
The worried parent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

First, no peroxide. It can inhibit healing because it kills off the good cells with the bad cells. Soapy water is just as effective.
The Neosporin probably won't hurt, but I don't care to use it because it can attract dirt/fur and make it stick to the wound.

Really it depends on how big it is as to whether you should take her in. I'd say if it's any bigger than a dime or you can see muscle, or you're just concerned, take her in. Watch for swelling, redness, heat, discharge, or your kitty not feeling well. All of those are reasons to have it seen.

Were it me, if it wasn't large enough to take her in and she was doing well, I'd clean it with antibacterial soap and water two to three times a day. If at any point it isn't improving, I'd call the vet.

Best of luck!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I have only used the Peroxide once because I imagined it would burn and in the end it did because she reacted negatively. I have also noticed with the use of the Neosporin the hair getting stuck to it, especially do to it's location. However the wound is bigger than and dime and is probably about an inch long. It looks uncomfortable, but not infected.

The strange thing is that she never messes with it, and honestly acts as if it's not even there. I am beginning to think that I should take her in.......it's been bothering me since day one because I did it to her..I just didn't want to have to take her to the vet if it was unnecessary. Like I said it is bigger than a dime, and looks uncomfortable based on those two facts alone it may constitute a vet visit. Im still really unsure what to do, but it doesn't appear to be "healing" although it has only been a little over 24 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

is this is normally slow when posting reponses/threads??? it seems like it takes a while for my posts to register.

Well I did post a response, in response to Jade's contribution. The wound is roughly an inch long and appears to be uncomfortable, however she (the cat) is acting 100% normal and has yet to acknowledge the wound...however she could be doing so out of sight under the bed/in the closet etc.

I only used the peroxide once and will in most cases usual the neosporin sparingly. I may just take her into the vet, better to be safe than sorry.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch98
is this is normally slow when posting reponses/threads??? it seems like it takes a while for my posts to register.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/faq.p...oderated_posts

If it's that big, I would probably take her in.

Stephanie

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Is it possible that the matt due to it's location got so close to the skin that when I removed the matt a larger wound came to surface???? The matt certainly wasn't large however it was very close to the skin or at least I am assuming so due to the obvious result. Im am going to pull out the matts from here on out to avoid this in the future.

But the matts location would be comparable to the back of a human knee....when I cut the matt away there was absolutely no reaction from her, maybe it was because of the warm water, maybe it was because of her "oh crap im in the bath and I want out" state of mind. She is amazingly well behaved when recieving a bath. I probably should just take her in because im so worried about it. I will continue to clean it with anti-bac if there is no sign of improvement over the next 48 hours im going to take her in. Her appetitie is fine, she still plays and she still seeks attention....so if it was bothering her im sure the previously mentioned actions would be affected. We'll see what happens......sorry for the novel....im definitely long winded.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It's possible there was a wound under the matt, but based on the location I would bet it just keeps opening and pulling at the wound.

Keep in mind that if it needs stitches now, waiting can mean a very lengthy recovery process. I've seen wounds that should've come in for sutures two days prior that had to be managed as open wounds and took three times to heal and three times the cost as well.

The cursory exam would be worth the peace of mind to me - around here, I doubt it would be anywhere near $100 for just an exam and some antibiotics if that's all it needs.

Stephanie

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have a Persian that gets shaved once a year, but periodically I'll trim any mats that pop up in the winter months (when his hair is long). I've cut him twice both time it was one line about a half inch long. Clean it well, cut all hair right around the cut (so it doesn't get inside the wound) then just keep an eye on it. Both times they they took a week or two to completely close but you could tell every day a little more was closed up and the whole time it looked clean and healthy.

If at anytime it doesn't look healthy go to the vet right away.

Now I'm a lot more careful, what I do is get the cat all relaxed from petting then start working around the mat with my fingers to get it free of all other hair. Then I nip the unmatted hair at the base of the mat above the skin. If it's matted to the skin try a different part of the mat. Once you have the majority of the mat loosened the part that was matted to the skin also loosens and you can get under it to cut the mat free. It's not the fastest way to get rid of mats, but so far it keeps me from cutting the cat and the cat loves the attention.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
I have been using Neosporin and Hydrogen Perioxide periodically at least once or twice a day.
although peroxide can be good at first, using it 2x a day can prolong healing and cause scarring. discontinue the peroxide and keep up with the neosporin. the anti-biotic neosporin will keep the area bacteria free and will help the area to heal quicker and healthier.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
The wound is roughly an inch long and appears to be uncomfortable, however she (the cat) is acting 100% normal and has yet to acknowledge the wound....
acting normal does not always mean they are ok. some cats are more resilient than others and are able to maintain an illusion of comfort even when they are on their last leg. i have had very sick kitties look perfectly healthy and eat and drink well when they were near death.

if the infection reaches the bloodstream she will be feverish, but that could take a while to fester. by the time you realize she is sick it could be too late. try taking a rectal temp and if it is over 102 degrees consider taking her in.

if the wound is not too deep you can probably live without stitches but the antibiotics are a must. cats have super thin skin and most toxins are easily absorbed through the skin in cats. your vet exam will run $45 at most and the amoxicillin will be about $15-20. stitches can be expensive depending on anesthesia. sometimes $40-80 or more, with the high end being $140.

your vet will most likely put her on amoxicillin and will recommend stitches. if you are low on cash call your local animal shelter as they are usally able to provide basic low cost vet care.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response,

We actually took her to the vet a little over a month ago now. She recieved stitches and an oral antibiotic which I believe was in fact amoxicillin (sp) The final vet bill was 145 which was lower than I expected it to be. We have since removed the stitches and she is perfectly healthy.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to the thread. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Tags
animal shelter, local animal shelter, vet care, vet visit