Cut paw - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi.

I'm a new member and hope that I'm doing this properly.

My pussy came in yesterday with a bleeding paw.

She doesn't like being picked up and it's not very easy trying to inspect it. She has been licking it a lot and the bleeding stopped, so I hoped that by today it would have started healing.

Her limp was less pronounced, but when she came in this afternoon, the limp was worse than ever - and it was bleeding again.

As it's another 36 hours until a vets is open, does anyone have any advice? Should I try to put a bandage on her paw?

I read the following on another web-page:

'it's normal for the cut to take a long time to heal. The pads on a cat's foot are composed mostly of dead tissue. Dead tissue can't heal, so the healed tissue has to grow deep inside the foot pad and gradually move out as the old, dead tissue sloughs off. Another problem is that every time your kitty walks, she puts pressure on the foot pad and opens the wound a bit, making it very hard for the wound to heal shut'

Hope someone can offer some advice.

Many thanks in advance,

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I would wash it if you can... clean it out a bit if need be and maybe wrap it if she'll let you... That way she isn't getting dirt and litter into it at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

OK, thanks. I have done.

I've also been advised to put Savelon on it.

Cheers, G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:15 AM

How is your kitty doing?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for asking.

Fortunately the cut is not that deep, but is quite wide. It's been disinfected and now has a loose bandage on it.

She still has a limp (in fact she's limping more than ever).

It's one of her front paws, and apparently this type of cut usually happens when the cat has answered the call of nature and then covers it up with loose dirt, if there is something sharp under the soil.

I'll try to include a picture of Lizzy (pre-injury). If it works I'll try to take a snap of Lizzy now & upload that.

No, that's not going to work - I have image on hard drive, but I need a URL to upload onto site. I have to confess I'm out of my depth with that!!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:35 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

http://www.imageshack.com/ is a free hosting site for images if you need one. Pretty reliable site.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:26 PM

There is also Photobucket.com After 10 posts you will be able to upload 10 pictures from your hard drive. When you reach 10 pictures the oldest one will be deleted to upload a new one. For a nominal fee Paw Talk has its own hosting area as well if you are interested.

Glad to hear you were able to clean it out and get a bandage on it. Hopefully you'll have an easy time of keeping it clean.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

That happend to my cat once and I cleaned it and poured peroxcide on it and wrapped it so it didnt get dirty.