Dandruff - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question Dandruff

Fable has a bit of dandruff and I just wondered if there's any way I can get rid of it without giving him a bath? He's healthy in all other ways and his skin looks normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

My kitty has something similar plus she sheds horribly even with lots and lots of brushing. She's a long hair Tailess Manx/Angora mix. The Vet put her on Derma 3 Liquid and it seems to have helped not only with the skin flaking (dandruff) but has helped slow down her shedding.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:29 AM

vitaman e helps put it in her catfood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I used a spray that I worked into the coat of my persian cat. It was a Sea kelp based spray that worked very well and helped with matting also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Old 06-04-2006, 04:16 PM

There are a couple of really good sprays that can be used depending on what is causing the dandruff. If it's just dry skin, a moisterizing spray will do the trick usually. You might want to check with the your vet first though. Dandruff can be cause by more than just dry skin. Your pet might have a allergy or even psoriasis which can be caused by a vitamin deficiency. There's a couple of other things that may cause it as well. A simple skin test would determine the problem. Hope this helps.
Keep smiling,
Shar
Old 06-05-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for your help!

I went to Pets At Home (a big pet store) and they didn't have anything for cats but they had tons of lotions and potions for dogs. I don't think he has an allergy, he isn't irritated by the dandruff and I've read that it can be normal. Still it would be nice to find something I could use, a spray sounds good as then I don't have to go through the terror of bathing!

Do you think a vet would sell something to help him without us taking him in, they sell Frontline 'over the counter'? Our vets seem to be more into making money than taking care of animals and charge loads just for a consultation.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

I'm sure there is something over the counter that is similar to the Derma 3 Liquid that my vet gives to my cat. It has helped alot! Basically is the omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids I believe. Something similar to this http://www.petcraze.com/Derm-Caps-Li...-RX-10147.html There is alot of different brands on the market for over the counter such as the link. I'm not sure which are better or not. Mine from the vet is a liquid and I just put a 1/2 pump on her food daily and she actually seems to like it. so no baths, fighting to give pills or dealing with sprays either. May be worth a call to your vet and ask if he'll just give you the Derma 3 without an exam......... all he can say is yes or no. So doesnt hurt to ask.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I think you can also get flaxseed oil and sprinkly a tony drop over their food? You can get flaxseed oil from GNC and other vitamin places.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikklegem
Thanks for your help!

I went to Pets At Home (a big pet store) and they didn't have anything for cats but they had tons of lotions and potions for dogs. I don't think he has an allergy, he isn't irritated by the dandruff and I've read that it can be normal. Still it would be nice to find something I could use, a spray sounds good as then I don't have to go through the terror of bathing!

Do you think a vet would sell something to help him without us taking him in, they sell Frontline 'over the counter'? Our vets seem to be more into making money than taking care of animals and charge loads just for a consultation.
Like SWC, I use a powdered form that my vet gave me. It's called Missing Link Omega 3 Basic. It's a vet formula and is sprinkled in the food as well. I didn't think about it earlier when I posted. It did wonders when a feral kitten started losing all her hair around her ears and body.

Are there other vets around you that you might try? If you feel that strongly about the vet you go to, it might be worth looking into finding another. I've been with mine for 20 years. She's a distance away, but the one near me is very similiar to yours. I go there to pick up the specialized food that my males have to have. The few times I took my animals to the one near me, I walked out feeling bankrupted and unsatisfied. For the emergency visit, I can see it costing, but when I take in 5 animals for just their shots and walk out with a bill for just under $500, I draw the line. I haven't gone back since, not even for the food. I make the drive.
Good luck and Keep smiling,
Shar
Old 06-08-2006, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I got some linseed yesterday which the health food shop lady said was flaxseed oil in it's natural form and I've been sprinkling a bit on his food. I've also been brushing him every day. If it doesn't work I'll ask the vet but it'd be nice if it does because linseed is very cheap and I can put it on my breakfast cereal!

We will be changing vets as soon as Ant passes his driving test at the moment we're pretty limited to where we can can cart a great big kitty! (He should hopefully pass some time this summer unless his nerves get the better of him.)

Thank you for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes!

Tags
pet store