Dead Rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Dead Rat

Came out on my porch today to see a nice dead rat with flies all over it. Does anyone else experience this on a regular basis? It is starting to gross me out that the same animal handling these rats is taking naps in my bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

haha sounds like my neighbors cat sits on my patio table eating mice or left over mice then leaves the body or pieces for me to clean up , so disturbing to open my curtains and see that.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Have you considered keeping the cat indoors? It would eliminate the issue of dead rats being left on the porch, and is safer for the cat as well as wildlife if your cat is a hunter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 PM
It's all for them

In addition, since people put out poison for rodents, any cat let outside who hunts is at risk for being poisoned from eating a poisoned rodent. Death by rat poison is a horrible horrible death. They bleed to death. From the inside.

Cats are hunters by nature. Cats are also instinctual family providers, so will bring you their kill to share, as you have happily discovered. It's a high honor, being provided for by your cat.

Declawing: please read this first
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 AM
Newborn Pup

Have you considered keeping the cat indoors?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Friend to All Animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
Cats are hunters by nature. Cats are also instinctual family providers, so will bring you their kill to share, as you have happily discovered. It's a high honor, being provided for by your cat.
i completely agree with you... this is a natural thing and it is helping to lower to ever-growing wild rodent population... it isn't that bad of a problem... just don't think about it

~ Proud mommy of rabbits, rodents, and a dog ~
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

It's not really natural in areas where cats are not native predators. Cats are in introduced species, and although people may appreciate it when they kill rodents, they actually are quite damaging to native wildlife populations.

Also, like was already mentioned, if cats happen to catch and eat rodents who have consumed rodent poison than the cat can become poisoned as well.

Tags
cat