Declawing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Lee0923

Declawing

Okay, I know that there is all sorts of opinions out there, and that is exactly what I want to hear!

I have never had my cats declawed. One came to me already declawed, but I have never had it done to my other cats. I have been told that, not only is it very uncomfortable for the cats, but that they need to have their claws to properly stretch their spine. Is that true?

I know it is important to keep them for defense, but my cats are indoor cats only.

My point being, I was thinking of having this done to my kitten. I am regularily clipping his nails, but am looking for and advice or opinions anyone can give me on the pros/cons of having a cat declawed.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

I know that it is very painful for the cat but I had to have mine done because she was scratching up my mom's house. She was very tender after that and I don't think she quite ever forgave me but she loved to scratch on wood and door jams were a particular favorite. She was fine as far as her health but I know she was cranky after I had it done for the rest of her life. (She's passed on now.)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 11:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'll say that I'm against it. They cut the claw off. It's very painful for the cat and I've seen some really, really botched jobs come into the ER. I don't think it's worth it.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...threadid=10371 I think that was a pretty good discussion we had a while back about it.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm also against declawing. I've heard it compared to amputating your finger up to your ...gee I don't even know what it's called, but it's past your nails.

And god forbid they accidentally get out of the house. My cats are indoor only cats as well, but I had one sneak past someone once and he was outdoors for 4 days before we found him. I would hate to think what could happen if he didn't have nails in his front paws.

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Playful Pup

It's important to remember that not only do they cut of the nail, but they completely cut off the first knuckle of the cat's 'fingers'....that means BONE . Imagine having stubs for fingers and think how long it would take you to get used to, think how painful it would be! A cat's claws are their only defense mechanism. What if a cat, who was declawed, somehow escaped or got lost outside? It would have no way to protect itself from the outside world...dogs, other cats, foxes, or whatever dangers that might be out there.

I just got a job at my local humane society's veterinary clinic, and we had a cat come in that wasn't even five months old and had been declawed. Someone found him wandering outside with a sprained leg and bloody scratches all over his face and body (obviously from a fight he could have never expected to win), limping and mewing like crazy. It really broke my heart. There is always a chance your cat might accidently be let out or escape through a torn screen or window. I would never take the chance to let anything like that happen to any of my animals. To see my cat brutally wounded or dead after being lost outside, knowing that I removed their only defense mechanism, their only chance at survival because I didn't want them to scratch my "precious" furniture would be too much to bear.

A lot of people don't know how painful the procedure is for the cats. Most don't realize they don't merely remove the nail, but a part of their bones as well. Once people learn this, most always seek other alternative than that kind of cruelty. You can try those deterrent sprays they have at petstores for furniture, or even tin foil. Since you cat is young it will be easier to break the habit before it even starts. Maybe you could even try the Soft Paws nail covers.

I applaud you for taking the time to get information on the subject before making a decision! Forgive me for being a bit feisty about the subject, but it is something I am strongly opposed of. I hope this helped!!!

Mom to:

Camden the Chinny Chin Chin
Rosco the Miracle Puppy
Rosco's Kitty =His Baby
Cloud the Abandoned Kitten
Gyao =Spoiled Rotten
Ohana =Spoiled Rotten
=Howard the Dumpster Ham Ham
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get. -Anonymous
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 03:57 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

If you click on the link in Becki's reply, you'll see my horror story on this ... There isn't a day goes by that I don't regret declawing my kitty, because the odd way she walks reminds me that I let her be mutilated. And this was supposedly done by a vet with 20+ years experience.
I wouldn't even consider doing it again - not even as a last resort. My last resort would be buying new curtains and/or furniture whenever needed.

Sharon
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Lee0923

Thank You everyone for your opinions!

No need to apologize for being "feisty" TEJ! Honest opinions are exactly what I want to hear!

Any other testimonials regarding the Soft Paws would be greatly appreciated too! My dad has taught his cats not to even get on the furniture. I'm trying to do that, but I think with me being gone at work all day, the lesson is kind of getting lost!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

I know someone who had their kitty declawed, and now if anyone touches his paws he will bite them and try to scratch them. His paws are VERY sensitive now. He still tries to sharpen his claws as if they were still there, and he is sometimes an outside cat. I would never do that to a kitty...But just my opinion.

I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Playful Pup

Try the BITTER APPLE stuff you can buy at PetSmart. It is supposed to work really well. I work at a vets office and we sell those SoftPaws things constantly. We have a whole display up front. I've seen them put them on, and it's just like a little cover for their nails. Heh, you can even get different colors if you like! I would go with the SoftPaws if you don't think you'll have the time to correct their behavior in person. It's just as effective as if the cats had no "claws" at all, and with no pain whatsoever! Everybody wins!!!

Mom to:

Camden the Chinny Chin Chin
Rosco the Miracle Puppy
Rosco's Kitty =His Baby
Cloud the Abandoned Kitten
Gyao =Spoiled Rotten
Ohana =Spoiled Rotten
=Howard the Dumpster Ham Ham
Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get. -Anonymous
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Wow I had no idea what the declaw procedure was all about! Ouch!

Just wanted to add that my brother has three cats all declawed. One is 13 years old,7 and a kitten under a year. They are all indoor/outdoor cats. Two of them hunt yet and bring home their "prizes". I'm not sure how they defend themselves but I've never seen them hurt or injured.

Lee I had an aunt and uncle that trained their cat not to go on the furniture. I don't how they did it though!

I've Been Frosted!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well I will make this short and sweet, and say I am definitely against this most painful procedure. After working in a vet office and assisting first hand in several declawings, I will say that the procedure itself made me sick to my stomach, and I assisted in several types of surgery. Not only is it is Cruel on how it is done, but it is very painful to the cat. Cat's can be trained and there is NO reason to declaw.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Lee0923

I've tried the Bitter Apple before on my plants...only worked if I remembered to do it everyday. The cats would still eat it and spit it out! So...fake plants at my house! Lol.

Well, these Soft Paws sound like a good idea. Plus, I figure it's good to get him used to them at a young age.

Thanks everyone!

Masterjack...how DO they do that????

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Masterjack...how DO they do that????
Lee, I don't know what Masterjack would say, but we use spray bottles with water to train our Cat, it works great for us, just need to be consistent with it is all

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Tags
humane society, indoor cat, indoor cats, local humane society, outdoor cat