Declawing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Title Thief Victim

Angry Declawing

I've had my cat Franky-lou for about 3 years now.
He was a rescue but now he's a fatty lovable Orange cat

Well, My moms new boyfriend moved in Last year, and we recently remodled our bathroom, and got new winders put in the house.

Mr. Franky-lou is going around the newly down winders and bathroom and destroying it...My mom put like $3,000 into the bathroom alone. So either we have to have him Declawed or I have to re-home him, which I really don't want to do either.
D:

I'm moving into my apartment in either December or January, but I can't take him with me because I'm taking my other cat Diamond, because she litterally can't be with out me. She's never more then 2 feet from me. She'd freak out if I left her behind. I think she has problems..because I honestly don't think it's healthy from a cat to be this addicted or in love with a person. but hey, that's just me.

But is there anything I can try for Franky-lou so he'll stop freaking scrating everything up? He has a scratching post and big cat tree.
He also ripped the insulation out of the bedroom wall >_> grr.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

what are winders?

I am really against declawing. I am from france where it is illegal for a vet to perform a declawing operation and is considered HIGH cruelty towards an animal.

Spray water on him when he starts scratching what he isn't supposed to, or scare him.
Keep him occupied with something else than the remodeled things. Put cat nip on scratch post and cat tree to encourage.
You can buy some kitty repellent for indoors at a pet store, it's not a super solution but it'll help discourage him. It's a spray, it stinks for us too until it dries and then only his nose detects it.
post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Title Thief Victim

Windows. ha i pronounce them winders.
But yea, I'm against declawing to.
But those were the options my mom gave me.
and I don't really want to get rid of him because I've had him his whole life.
and I can't take him with me when I move out.

But I'll try a few things, and see if he'll stop alittle. he's destroying the bathroom

Carissasaurus Rex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Rodentologist

Why not just keep the door to that bathroom shut?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM
can't think of one, help

Do you clip his claws, that might help some. I know how you feel one of my kitties has destroyed my couch the others are okay with using the scratching post. Two of them have been declawed (came that way). But my other four are not. I've tried everything to keep Kissy from clawing the couch but she still does it. They also do a procedure called a tendonectomy which is considered much less severe. Did you say your cat was indoor only, because after any of those procedures they cannot go outside

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Title Thief Victim

We do keep the bathroom door shut but he slips in sometimes..he's the same color as my floor so he can be sneaky.
and he's scratched the crap out of the door and trim on the outside of it trying to get in.

yea we trim there nails.
and.
yea my cats are indoor only. I live on a corner of a intersection thing, so if they left my yard they'd have to cross a road no matter which way they went..and yea I don't like my cats being outside D:

Carissasaurus Rex

post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Declawing is really inhumane...not a thing humane about it (as I know you know,because you said you are against it as well)...there are...ARE other options though.My 2 cats never used to be much into scratching til we moved,then when we first moved in..scratch scratch scratch...& some relatives started freaking out due to me soon having a baby...
Well,we bought a new scratch post,no more scratching on the couches XD & we bought a wicked cheap one in Walmart...theres tons of options,& products to deter...you wont have to declaw OR re-home..trust me =).
post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Hello Earthling

I also have to agree that declawing is the crulest and most inhumane thing you could possibly do to a cat (other then abusing etc...).

Just make sure that the door is always closed and make sure that he is not in the bathroom. Spray him with a squirt bottle or shake a Cabot coins when you catch him scratching at something he shouldn't be scratching at.

An alternative to declawing is "Soft Paws" which are plastic caps that minimize the damage cats do from scratching.

post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I was just going to say the same as canadiancritter. You can get soft paws which you just glue right over their nails. They come in lots of different colors. http://softpaws.com/

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
I was just going to say the same as canadiancritter. You can get soft paws which you just glue right over their nails. They come in lots of different colors. http://softpaws.com/
Yes! I was just going to recommend the same thing... but 2 people already beat me too it
post #11 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Rodentologist

Ditto everybody else -- I mean, you guys are essentially cutting off part of his toes because you can't be bothered to check and make sure he isn't in the bathroom when you close the door.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #12 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:44 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am also against declawing!

But everyone else beat me to my suggestions.I was going to suggest "soft paws" and trimming as well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Title Thief Victim

its not jsut the bathroom that he's doing it, he's doing it to the whole house, but the bathrooms the only one we care about right now because we just spent all that money on it.
it wasnt my choice or anything because as i said I am against it, but i was here looking for other options.
ill see if i can look into the soft paws thinggys.

Carissasaurus Rex

post #14 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Has he always done the scratching thing? or is it new since you've done that bathroom and you only care about the bathroom? If its a new behavior then it might just be hes freaked out about all the new stuff. My aunts cats freaked out when she got new furniture and carpet for her living room, because everything smelt different to them. She for this stuff and sprayed around the room that was supposed to help calm them, then she got a new cat tree and put catnip on it every couple days to get them used to it, but she had to keep the new couches covered for a few weeks till they settled back down again.

My Furry Family
post #15 of 101 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

yeah if there's fresh sealant, glue or whatever else products, they might emit a smell that drives him crazy!
Closed Thread